Withdrawing polyps near end of lighting schedule?

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm new to the hobby and don't know what's normal. I have several torches, frogspawn, and acans that partially or completely withdraw their polyps as night approaches. They only do this toward the end of the day as lighting intensity drops below 30 percent, and they don't do it every day. It's not always the same corals that do it, either.

Everybody is out and happy during the day, but as the end of the lighting schedule approaches, several corals usually withdraw their polyps (but will sometimes extend then again before nightfall).

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby and don't know what's normal. I have several torches, frogspawn, and acans that partially or completely withdraw their polyps as night approaches. They only do this toward the end of the day as lighting intensity drops below 30 percent, and they don't do it every day. It's not always the same corals that do it, either.

Everybody is out and happy during the day, but as the end of the lighting schedule approaches, several corals usually withdraw their polyps (but will sometimes extend then again before nightfall).
Very normal

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They're photosynthetic creatures so as lighting decreases they may start to close up. A lot of mine open back up again during the night and put out their sweeper tentacles, but not always. I am new to corals, all previous tanks have been FOWLR, and I am finding corals to be even more fascinating than the fish!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back