Within two days of a 45 day fallow period, my Kole Tang is breaking out in white specks.

OdinPrime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished a 45 day fallow on my 90g reef after losing several fish to ich. The QT i setup ran a full 30 day therapeutic dose (0.5mg) of Cupramine, ensuring accuracy and checking daily with the hanna copper checker.

During the total 45 day QT, I also did one two rounds of Prazipro, and two full rounds of Furan-2. Everyone looked steller, the 45 days were up, and they went in two days ago. Today I wake up and the Kole tang looks like this. His breathing is normal, not rubbing on rocks, and a healthy appetite. I'm just at a loss as to what to do. I really dont want put the fish through another, even longer QT process...

Have their been any more recent studies with UV sterilizers? Maybe I just need to switch into management mode, and not worry about trying to eradicate it from the aquarium?

Fish 1.jpg Fish 2.jpg

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ich can live a very long time in low oxygen, more than 76 days. so if you had ich in the cyst living in a cave or under detritus in your live rock, or living under the sand or some low flow area in your tank like the return section in your sump or somewhere else in your tank... you will still have ich as you see in your case.

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks fine man could just be a little stressed out he doesn't look discolored to me. Is he eating good does he have white stringy poop or is it green brown. From the pic he looks like a healthy kole could just be an air bubbles from poking around in the sand happens to my blue jewel puffer alot when I first got him it used to freak me out cus he'd be all pale in n the morning with his tail bent and air buble then I'd come back in and feed and he would be back to his normal colors and the bubbles would go away(from playing in the sand) I think maybe you just got a kole who likes to pick on rock and slosh some sand

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the other thing is ich can travel from tank to tank, there was a study and 10 feet of distance between tanks is considered "safe" but really thats just a guide. if your home has excessive humidity and/or there is a breeze, through a window, fan or hvac system, the ich can travel more than 10 feet in the air.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished a 45 day fallow on my 90g reef after losing several fish to ich. The QT i setup ran a full 30 day therapeutic dose (0.5mg) of Cupramine, ensuring accuracy and checking daily with the hanna copper checker.

During the total 45 day QT, I also did one two rounds of Prazipro, and two full rounds of Furan-2. Everyone looked steller, the 45 days were up, and they went in two days ago. Today I wake up and the Kole tang looks like this. His breathing is normal, not rubbing on rocks, and a healthy appetite. I'm just at a loss as to what to do. I really dont want put the fish through another, even longer QT process...

Have their been any more recent studies with UV sterilizers? Maybe I just need to switch into management mode, and not worry about trying to eradicate it from the aquarium?

Fish 1.jpg Fish 2.jpg
What is the temperature of your DT?

Jay

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 45 days but kept the tank around 80-81 degrees. I also stirred the sand (which I have always done anyways) and turkey blasted the rocks (again, part of my normal routine). Ich has not returned and it has been several months.

To catch my fish, I removed all my rock... so I gave the entire sandbed a big stir... so all the crud that was under the rocks got stirred up too.

Treatment wise I did hybrid TTM though.

OP
OP
OdinPrime

OdinPrime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the temperature of your DT?

Jay
I kept it at around 78 degrees, assuming that was in order to keep the corals and inverts happy.

Thanks to everyone else for the advice, and input. The tanks were right next to each other about 5 feet apart. Had no idea that ich could become airborne. Also in hindsight, I probably should have gone a full 60-70 day fallow.

Like others have said, so far his coloration is totally fine, it was just the white specks that appears on him overnight that got me initially concerned.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept it at around 78 degrees, assuming that was in order to keep the corals and inverts happy.

Thanks to everyone else for the advice, and input. The tanks were right next to each other about 5 feet apart. Had no idea that ich could become airborne. Also in hindsight, I probably should have gone a full 60-70 day fallow.

Like others have said, so far his coloration is totally fine, it was just the white specks that appears on him overnight that got me initially concerned.
45 days fallow really needs to be done at above 80 degrees. I don’t know why a few degrees makes a difference but it seems to. I agree that is a trade off with your corals though.
I used to do 35 days, but back in those days, we ran our systems at 82 degrees and they were fish only.
Jay

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back