Without this fish your saltwater aquarium is not complete..

How much do what fish you have in your tank matter to you?

• I take my fish selection VERY carefully.

Votes: 517 74.8%
  • I just focus on a few of my favorites and don't care much for the rest.

Votes: 94 13.6%
  • I just choose fish on a feeling or a whim.

Votes: 55 8.0%
  • Whatever fish are the cheapest.

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • No fish for me in my aquarium.

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 2.2%

• Total voters

Kai K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the cycling of my first tank I had already decided on having at least 2 chalk basslets. I had to search long and hard for them because apparrantly here in Europe they aren't very popular and have to come from afar.
I finally found a pair and they have been my absolute favorite ever since, spawning nearly every evening and showing proper grouper behaviour.

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always like to have a Maroon Clown and a Coral Beauty. Beautiful fishes for a small price.

Maroon Clown & Coral Beauty.JPG

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have a nano tank and I must have the Springeri Damsel (Chrysiptera cf. springeri).
The blue color pops, hardy and not aggressive to my other fish.

Travis Warren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For looks Bonbons Anthias and Flame Wrasse Pair. For wirk 1. Yellow Eye Kole Tang and Foxface.

Kingston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CBB very spoilt and doesn't get scared easily. Runner up is the golden midas blenny because she is the Mrs favorite.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of clownfish for me in every tank. They may be common and cheap, but still my favorite. Currently have 12 clownfish (6 tanks x 2 each)

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns. They were the first saltwater fish that I wanted and the first saltwater fish that I got. They are weird and quirky and turn into piranhas when you put your hands in the tank! Wouldn't have a tank without them.

Runner up would be the grouping of YWGs with a Tiger Pistol Shrimp. My naughty shrimp totally turned the tank upside down yesterday while my goby watched and I wouldn't have it any other way. The relationship between shrimp and goby is one of the cooler things I've seen since getting into this hobby.

Honorable mention to my Red-Lined Wrasse. And elegant swimmer and she uses the whole tank, always hunting. Beautiful fish.

hqn77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red fire fish. Never managed to keep one longer than 1 year, keep finding fire fish potato chips on the floor. :(

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I said "Other" because I think all answers have some truth for me. And my must have fish has changed over the years. In general Im a sucker for Tangs. Love swimmers. So Ill go with Blue Hippo. They are a sometimes odd behaving but beautiful fish.

With so many amazing fish in the trade its difficult to pick even a runner up. I LOVE my leopard Wrasse. Love triggers, Gobies, Squirrel fish, Copper band, etc... but personality is important so Ill go with the Flame Hawk. Awesome little fish. I have two.

oldman ken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just started back into the hobby after 10 years, so I have no fish at the moment. But my favorite fish would be the copperband butterfly fish. I plan on getting one in a year or two.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 clownfish as a recommendation. They are cool fish however, and super hardy. I am going to buy a yellow tang next, as I need cleaners, and what is not to like, probably get another bristle tooth tang it depends. The one I do want is a fire angle. Beautiful fish

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One way to look at it is as i have multiple tanks. - big and small - the Royal Gramma is the only one in each. Calms the aggression down and always in line of site.
Right now my favorite is a pair; for grace, subtle colors, low impact on the tank, always out in the “moonlight time” and their relationship, a male and female Genicanthus melanospilos.

Holst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We sure do love our fish! Watching them swim, eat and interact is part of the joys of owning an aquarium. The sheer beauty and array of coloring that are present in saltwater fish is one of the main reasons people set up saltwater aquariums to begin with. BUT for many of us there is that ONE special fish that our aquarium would not be complete without! Today I would like to talk about it!

1. What is the one fish that you must have in order for your saltwater aquarium to be complete?

2. Name the fish that is the second runner up?

image via @Reeffraff
DSC_0291_sm.jpg
Is this a desjardinii ?
Love the colors in this pic.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • None.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.3%
Back