Without this fish your saltwater aquarium is not complete..

How much do what fish you have in your tank matter to you?

• I take my fish selection VERY carefully.

Votes: 517 74.8%
  • I just focus on a few of my favorites and don't care much for the rest.

Votes: 94 13.6%
  • I just choose fish on a feeling or a whim.

Votes: 55 8.0%
  • Whatever fish are the cheapest.

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • No fish for me in my aquarium.

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 2.2%

• Total voters

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have a seahorse tank, the most important fish I have are of course seahorses. Next is my clownfish - he's quite the character. In my husband's tank, I love his copperband - he's also a character, always begging for more food!

bmeily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin is my favorite. I had one for years and one of the main reasons to get back into the hobby. Just love the colors and hovering around pecking at pods.
And no tank is complete without clowns, prolly going to upgrade to designer ones.

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do keep Clown Fish and I enjoy them. The primary purpose of my large reef tank was to create something our entire family would enjoy - so at the beginning it was largely a nemo tank. Marlin and Nemo - until one went tile surfing (before I got the 180 G). Had a Blue Hippo Tang as well as a Blond Naso (in 180 G Tank) - . I replaced the one Clown I lost with a Tomato Clown - became a bully - he has been rehomed. Blond Naso got territorial - and Bullied my Yellow Tang to death. He almost Bullied my Blue Hippo to death as well. Well the Blond Naso died - Never found the body. I don't think I can add any more tangs - she has been in there too long with out another tang. So I will add some Chromis and a Goby. Also Marlin and Storm will return to the 180 G. Tank. Once things stabilize with my new aquascape and everybody is rehomed, Addition of more Coral is next.

Artlawyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We sure do love our fish! Watching them swim, eat and interact is part of the joys of owning an aquarium. The sheer beauty and array of coloring that are present in saltwater fish is one of the main reasons people set up saltwater aquariums to begin with. BUT for many of us there is that ONE special fish that our aquarium would not be complete without! Today I would like to talk about it!

1. What is the one fish that you must have in order for your saltwater aquarium to be complete?

2. Name the fish that is the second runner up?

image via @Reeffraff
DSC_0291_sm.jpg
1. I love my Tomini Tang! He is a great algae eater!
2. My Cream Angel. Beautiful and active!

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My procurement of fish is almost complete for Green Reef which is my 180 Gallon.

1. What is the one fish that you must have in order for your saltwater aquarium to be complete?

Blue Hippo Tang -
I think all three of us would agree that Green Reef would not be complete without Dory

2. Name the fish that is the second runner up?
This is more complex - can't just leave it as second runner up.
- Starry Blenny -
We all love Ziggy - quite the personality (likes to play king of the mountain - sits on my wave maker)
- Oc. Clownfish - Coral: she has been through a lot. Bullied, beaten up, growing up and getting pregnant (we think).
- Clownfish - Storm - mated with Coral
- Our 2 Fighting Conchs (My wife loves to look for them in the sand - looks for their eyeballs)
- Our CUC (My Ground Crew) can be funny too! - I have found the snails grouping together either hanging in the tank somewhere or I have found a few trying to escape from the tank. I found one on the top side of the center acrylic brace and 1 actually made it out of the tank over the canopy. I found him on the floor the next morning.

Now that the bullies are gone and hopefully the death as well (RIP: Marlin (Oc. Clownfish), Fishlips (Blond Naso), Jacques (Cleaner Shrimp) and Bubbles (Yellow Tang) - I just have 3 more fish to get so my Blue/Green Chromis will shoal/school. BTW I had 5 Baby BG Chromis, but three went exploring the overflow - never to be see again. Never found them in the overflow, sump or socks.

After this I want to learn a bit about Aquarium Photography and just watch everything grow. Oh, and More Corals please!

Last edited:

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triggers go in all my tanks would not have one without triggers, currently have 5.

Beautiful! Which triggers have you had the most success with in a reef environment? Thinking of rolling the dice with one...

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you mean which ones don't chomp on corals. The clown trigger does on occasion get "mad" and chomps on certain acros, all the other triggers ignore the corals pretty much.
Nigers never show an interest in corals.
I would go with a Niger, Pinktail, black hawaiian, Huma.

20210725_131559.jpg Resized_20210724_185538.jpeg

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A very nice set up n really like the reef w swim room. Totally agree on Niger, its the one trigger they all say is reef safe. Really miss our Humma

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 74 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back