Without this fish your saltwater aquarium is not complete..

How much do what fish you have in your tank matter to you?

• I take my fish selection VERY carefully.

Votes: 517 74.8%
  • I just focus on a few of my favorites and don't care much for the rest.

Votes: 94 13.6%
  • I just choose fish on a feeling or a whim.

Votes: 55 8.0%
  • Whatever fish are the cheapest.

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • No fish for me in my aquarium.

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 2.2%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We sure do love our fish! Watching them swim, eat and interact is part of the joys of owning an aquarium. The sheer beauty and array of coloring that are present in saltwater fish is one of the main reasons people set up saltwater aquariums to begin with. BUT for many of us there is that ONE special fish that our aquarium would not be complete without! Today I would like to talk about it!

1. What is the one fish that you must have in order for your saltwater aquarium to be complete?

2. Name the fish that is the second runner up?

image via @Reeffraff
DSC_0291_sm.jpg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For me it is the simple yet elegant swimming clownfish!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't be able to pick just one. I have a few that fill a particular need - halichoeres wrasse (dusky preferred) as pest eater, bristle tang (chevron preferred) as general slime algae eater/clean up guy and cleaner wrasse for the big tangs. Always have a clown pair with the appropriate host anemone. Beyond that, my favorite is the zebra tang - though very hard to come by and $$$$$.

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What is the one fish that you must have in order for your saltwater aquarium to be complete?
I bought my fiancee a Flex 32 for her birthday last year. When we went to buy her tetra and corydoras at the LFS, I got distracted by a Royal Gramma. When I saw that it was a saltwater fish, I was disappointed because I thought it would be too difficult to have a reef tank. I went home and did some research and found out that there were no captive-bred ones... Months later, I saw an RWU captive-bred Royal Gramma on Live Aquaria's Diver's Den. I instantly started planning out a 90-gallon reef tank. After a lot of bumps in the road, I have my first reef set up in a Waterbox Peninsula 6025. If it weren't for that Royal Gramma in the LFS, we would still be freshwater only ;Hilarious

I am surprised by how much personality our Sharknose Goby has! I think every saltwater tank needs a goby of some sort!

bReefedBaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We sure do love our fish! Watching them swim, eat and interact is part of the joys of owning an aquarium. The sheer beauty and array of coloring that are present in saltwater fish is one of the main reasons people set up saltwater aquariums to begin with. BUT for many of us there is that ONE special fish that our aquarium would not be complete without! Today I would like to talk about it!

image via @Reeffraff
DSC_0291_sm.jpg

In due time I'd have to say my ultimate goal for "fish addition aquarium completion:" is me patiently waiting to add my dragonet fish. Nothing happens good to anyone in the hobby without patience. Truly focusing on absorbing as much information/education I can within the SW world.

I am always looking at my fish stock list and doing a process of elimination. I'm also looking directly into the aggression level p/ fish and basing my stock times accordingly.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it is the simple yet elegant swimming clownfish!
I agree! I feel like every saltwater tank should have at least 1 clownfish. ;Joyful

Runner up would probably be some sort of goby, or a shrimp. (If that counts? ;Couchpotato)

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What made me take the jump was a red hairy legged crab. My LFS had one that was impervious to copper and he would clean all of their tanks. They would not sell him but I was fascinated by inverts in the tanks.
I later got one at another LFS. We went through our chapter of Crabzilla. It was a special time and I'm glad I did it. Since, I have learned more about reefing and opened my explorations to different fish.
I'll never have a tank without fish. Coral is just a bonus to me. Fish first.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted take fish selection very carefully.i actually only got 2 clownfish in qt at moment and dt empty but amount of research i did 5 years ago and over last 2 months ridiculous like 3- 4 hours per day ( every day lol) so had to vote this.
As this my first saltwater tank imo clownfish and yellow tang are must haves in a tank ( off course for tang if big enough tank ) im bordering on just about big enough to most peoples opinion i believe but favourite fish has without a doubt got be copperband butterfly

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back