Without this fish your saltwater aquarium is not complete..

How much do what fish you have in your tank matter to you?

• I take my fish selection VERY carefully.

Votes: 517 74.8%
  • I just focus on a few of my favorites and don't care much for the rest.

Votes: 94 13.6%
  • I just choose fish on a feeling or a whim.

Votes: 55 8.0%
  • Whatever fish are the cheapest.

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • No fish for me in my aquarium.

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 2.2%

• Total voters

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pick all my fish judiciously. I took a FOS seriously 4 decades ago, now new to a reef, I am even much more particular. I say that because I want fish that will work with my Aquascape. Such as my 6 Line Wrasse as he enjoys sliding in and out of 5 tunnels. A Diamondback Gobi and Midas Blemmy that do their work on the substrate and 3 different species of Clowns that fill out the top half of the tank

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since we started in salt I've had a dragonet. As we started this hobby/ lifestyle early 90 I've been lucky w them. I did have some probs one since we moved hereto N.M
What type of Dragonette do you prefer? I had a Blue Mandarin in my 1st tank and it will be my final choice coming in the next few months. The coloring and personality is wonderful to view.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dragonet , we've always been able to keep one , and our first set-up was a 75 g in phoenix. I fell in love w that fish. Now I'm building my Cade into a dragonet tank n I'll get to that later but will say we have a beautiful male and female that are bonding very well. The other fish doesn't have to b in each of our tanks but must be in our house, that would b a clown fish.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of Dragonette do you prefer? I had a Blue Mandarin in my 1st tank and it will be my final choice coming in the next few months. The coloring and personality is wonderful to view.
I totally agree. Our current pair is the blue mandri

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a tough question!

1. Kupang Damsel.

2. Chromis.

For me, nothing is better than having a bunch of smaller fish in a tank, especially large groups of the same fish. They always make the tank seem larger.
I agree. 1619 / 1 I feel you can make a 55 look like a 100 gallon with small fish that cover the entire volume of the tank. Top, Middle & Bottom

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my fiancee a Flex 32 for her birthday last year. When we went to buy her tetra and corydoras at the LFS, I got distracted by a Royal Gramma. When I saw that it was a saltwater fish, I was disappointed because I thought it would be too difficult to have a reef tank. I went home and did some research and found out that there were no captive-bred ones... Months later, I saw an RWU captive-bred Royal Gramma on Live Aquaria's Diver's Den. I instantly started planning out a 90-gallon reef tank. After a lot of bumps in the road, I have my first reef set up in a Waterbox Peninsula 6025. If it weren't for that Royal Gramma in the LFS, we would still be freshwater only ;Hilarious

I am surprised by how much personality our Sharknose Goby has! I think every saltwater tank needs a goby of some sort!
That is an awesome story!

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry , computer probs today I keep hitting the wrong buttons. Any way our pair now is awesome, the boy has a blue face and she has a red face. Both are considered green mandri s. I'm building our cade into a dragonet tank. Hopping for babies some day.

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One little fish 15 gallon tank happy and healthy for 2 years.

Attachments

• 616B8390-9DF3-48EC-BA23-8518A9B7448F.jpeg
    616B8390-9DF3-48EC-BA23-8518A9B7448F.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 39

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I have to pick just one?

I love the gobies down in the sand, the blennies in their rocks. I love the angelfish gliding through the caves and the royal grammas hovering upside-down near their ceilings. I love the tang-gang browsing across the surface of the reef, and the fairy wrasses and anthias holding below the surface of the water in hopes of drifting plankton. I love the triggerfish and the way they swim, almost without using their tails, and the way the clownfish and midas blenny almost overuse theirs. I love the brash billboard of the foxface and the bright sparks of the damselfish.

Do I have to pick just one?!

~B.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Tassel filefish. Grows from one inch to six. Grazing rocks. Noisily eating everything. Never bothers corals or any other fish. A cleaner wrasse will eat all the tassels so don’t mix

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I have to pick just one?

I love the gobies down in the sand, the blennies in their rocks. I love the angelfish gliding through the caves and the royal grammas hovering upside-down near their ceilings. I love the tang-gang browsing across the surface of the reef, and the fairy wrasses and anthias holding below the surface of the water in hopes of drifting plankton. I love the triggerfish and the way they swim, almost without using their tails, and the way the clownfish and midas blenny almost overuse theirs. I love the brash billboard of the foxface and the bright sparks of the damselfish.

Do I have to pick just one?!

~B.
No not after such a profound honest wonderful statement. I really liked you're explanation and visual story.

weamdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of clowns in practically every tank with my 125 currently being prepared for a harem (building up my nem population now)

But I'm also fond of the yellow Tang and the pearly jawfish which I'm sure they enjoy watching us as much as we enjoy watching them.

Bonus: favorite invert, the money cowrie.

Sigmund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Tangs
No Rabbitfish
No Clowns
Have had them before, Tangs / Rabbitfish do not like the way they look, too skittish and hyper for my preference. Clowns just swim in circles all day, and are mean. My first saltwater fish ever were 2 Percula Clowns. Lasted a decade, and will always love them.

Keep a Jawfish in every tank I have that can support it. Love little gobies and blennies. Also have a blue stripe or Jann’s pipefish in all of my tanks. Like grammas and basslets as well.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back