Without this fish your saltwater aquarium is not complete..

How much do what fish you have in your tank matter to you?

• I take my fish selection VERY carefully.

Votes: 517 74.8%
  • I just focus on a few of my favorites and don't care much for the rest.

Votes: 94 13.6%
  • I just choose fish on a feeling or a whim.

Votes: 55 8.0%
  • Whatever fish are the cheapest.

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • No fish for me in my aquarium.

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 2.2%

• Total voters

ReefPhetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We sure do love our fish! Watching them swim, eat and interact is part of the joys of owning an aquarium. The sheer beauty and array of coloring that are present in saltwater fish is one of the main reasons people set up saltwater aquariums to begin with. BUT for many of us there is that ONE special fish that our aquarium would not be complete without! Today I would like to talk about it!

1. What is the one fish that you must have in order for your saltwater aquarium to be complete?

2. Name the fish that is the second runner up?

image via @Reeffraff
DSC_0291_sm.jpg
Sailfin Tang

Shankpa1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Malanarus wrasse
Checkerboard wrasse.

I used to just buy what ever looked cool. After a few years I have discovered all my favorite fish. And CBB is the only fish I want that I don’t buy. Longest I kept one was a year. Maybe I will try again who knows.
I love my wrasses and have like 6 in my tank. Not a parasite in sight!

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Clownfish
2. Cardinal (Banggai or Pajama)

I personally feel that fish really completes our reef tank and that the presence of fish do positively effect our corals. Purely anecdotal, I feel that my euphyllias and xenia enjoy the occasional burst of movement through their polyps from my clowns. As for cardinals, its just nice to have a slower moving fish that hovers around the tank.

bruce53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a tough question!

1. Kupang Damsel.

2. Chromis.

For me, nothing is better than having a bunch of smaller fish in a tank, especially large groups of the same fish. They always make the tank seem larger.
2 varieties of Hawkfsh

Frag_mad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my sps tank all my fish but 1 are in there for a job. From wrasse to tangs, copperband to an angel. All in there to help maintain the eco system.

Bajie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Goldflake Angel. My absolute favourite.
My Japan Tang got involved too :)
I am setting my tank up to introduce a Mandarin but this is still a few months away.
Doubt i will ‘want’ any additional fish after that.
I do try to research compatibility as my tank is actually very peaceful.

Bob LI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted that I take care picking my fish, which is true now, but wasn't in the mid 70's when I got started. There wasn't much info out there and, obviously, no internet site like this to ask questions. The first picture is from my 55 gallon tank in 1975, or 1976. It had a undergravel filter (advanced filtration) and heater! No one at the LFS saw any problem with the fish I purchased, Queen Angel, Naso Tang, Heniochus, Auriga Butterfly, Rock Beauty, etc.. Probably because no one expected them to live more than a few months to a year. The Queen Angel is still my favorite, but can't have one in a reef tank. New fav is a Flame Angel, followed by the Yellow Tang.

Heni and friends.jpg IMG_2683.JPG

gerajn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We sure do love our fish! Watching them swim, eat and interact is part of the joys of owning an aquarium. The sheer beauty and array of coloring that are present in saltwater fish is one of the main reasons people set up saltwater aquariums to begin with. BUT for many of us there is that ONE special fish that our aquarium would not be complete without! Today I would like to talk about it!

1. What is the one fish that you must have in order for your saltwater aquarium to be complete?

2. Name the fish that is the second runner up?

image via @Reeffraff
DSC_0291_sm.jpg
1: Purple Tang
2: Majestic Angel

AntFarm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to choose carefully. With a 20g cube there is only so much room for few fish and corals. I'm probably going to max at 4 fish and with 2 clowns that leaves 2 others. I'm trying to pick fish I really like that can serve a utilitarian purpose. I just added a pink streaked wrasse so that leaves 1 more. I have several in mind; let's see what happens.

BFPbNTa.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Princess Anthias

Requested special order thru TSM... I'm good to wait, last year aquascaped an awesome cave for them to hang out, some day they'll move into their cave in my tank

biggestrooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs for the algae problem.
Six line wrasse for the coral pests.
I love how a nice tang gang takes care of algae. And wrasses take care of parasites.
I currently have ...
Purple tang
Powder brown tang
Blue hippo(just cus its a clown tank)
Vlamingi tang
2 scopas tangs (just cus yellow tangs are toooo expensive at the moment.)

2 six line wrasse

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%

Back