Dwayne 100G Build v2

oneilwiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Thursday reefers, what fun time it is when you have to relocate several hours across the country and worry about your reef tank. As the time comes closer to the final moving date, I finally put together a plan as to how am gonna relocate my aquarium from Connecticut to Virginia. Long story short figured its a better distance than for me to relocate to Seattle WA.

background info on my Tank:
Crystal Dynamics 100G with Synergy Reef ghost overflow
Trigger sump
Vectra L1 with 2 MP40s
two Radion G3 lights ( old)
etc

Livestock;
random softies, SPS and LPS
  • 2 Clownfish
  • 1 Flame hawkfish
  • 1 power Blue Tang
  • 1Wrasse
  • 3 Anthias
  • 1 Cardinal
  • 1 Angel Fish
  • 1 Foxface
As you can imagine the frustration and headaches of moving a tank several hours away. I didn't have enough time to sell my livestock plus I didn't want to recycle my tank or start completely over. So here is my plan;

Moving Day 1;
- move and setup RO Unit, make water and SW at the new location
- Move all heavy and big furniture from home
- Purchase a 40G Breeder tank, stand and Aquaclear HOB Filter at Petco in VA
- Setup tank with existing spare heater, old apex controller, etc
- Setup existing 10G Nuvo to prep for taking in fishes

Moving Day 2;
- Purchase a few buckets, 50G Brute Trash bin and sturdy totes from Home Depot
- Remove all corals add them to storage totes, place plastic bags between them so no chemical warfare occurs
- Remove all Fishes add them to a large storage bin
- Add Battery operated air stone to the bin with fishes to keep them happy
- Remove Snails
-Discard Sand
-Remove Algae
-Drain tank
-Pack up equipment
-Wrap Tank with bubble wrap + Shrink Wrap
- Shrink Wrap Stand

Upon arrival at the new home, I will let the livestock chill out a bit in a dark room until I fill the 40G Breeder and nano with existing tank water. Once the fishes and corals are added between both tanks that will give me enough time to carefully plan out and redesign the rockscape in the 100G.

Stay tune......

OP
OP
oneilwiz

oneilwiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f6bd51a31ff144f4e288d0f0d292ef64.jpg

OP
OP
oneilwiz

oneilwiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well slow progress being made after most of my frags Died I refocus my energy keeping my PBT two clowns and a flame hawk fish happy in a 20g. I know it’s supper small but it’s temporary. Finish vinegar bath in sump, skimmer, heaters etc. vacuum all the remaining dry sand from the tank.

Hopefully today after work I will reconnect the sump and start to fill the tank with tap water to confirm no leaks since there wouldn’t be a built without problems such as I lost a o ring from one of the Synergy Reef Overflow Union. I tried the big box stores as well as amazon for the seal but it seams the seal is different from what was installed.

Stay tune.........
ce38e26fc00021565d6bef834165a22f.jpg

OP
OP
oneilwiz

oneilwiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, Thank you @NY_Caveman for the nudge. Been a busy 1 month since the last post.

Behold after searching everywhere for the overflow box seal. I finally found the original one but after I fit up the sump and start to fill the tank with water. As of now the new seal I bought which does not have a perfect fit ( stretched to fit) is being used on the emergency drain. No leaks. Since I will be keeping the tank simple the equipment remains the same even though I was leaning towards changing from Radions to T5 Fixture like ATI Power.

Trying to go sandless I couldn't take it anymore so I went added and added 30 lbs of live sand "Caribsea Fiji Pink". I want to keep a thin layer of sand. I still have another 20 lbs unused.
I did the old fishless cycle with just a drop of fish food in the tank. "Dr Tims One and Only" is used along with my existing live rocks that were in a brute trash can. Aug 5th marked the official one month mark since water has been added to the tank. I will test today after work for ammonia levels etc.

APC_0019.JPG DSC04299.jpg IMG_0222.jpg

OP
OP
oneilwiz

oneilwiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Happy Hump Day,

So I confrmed the tank is cycled with usual testing of all parameters . I had to add my PBT, two clownfish, hawkeye and two Blue/green chromis in one shot. I know, I came home to an power outage which caused my holding tank power filter to burn (Aquaclear 50). I drip acclimated the gang for 30 minutes.

No issues so far but the usual suspect of a little green algae ( not GHA). I am looking to get a UV Sterilizer 25watt for the tank. I have been looking at one for the past few years and never got one. I will post some pics later.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moves are always challenging. Looks like you are on top of everything though. Great Job!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back