Woke up this morning and my yasha gobys was dead

Doge14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the yasha goby 2-3 weeks ago and about a week ago he was just starting to swim around and wait in the open for his food well I went to the same fish store to get a lawnmower bleeeny, keep in mind I’m new to the hobby so I was listening to the fish store. Well this past saterday I went and got him I told them it was for my biocube 32 which they new already because I bought my whole tank setup from them and everything in it. They said it would be no problem well soon as I put the bleeeny in my yasha went straight to his cave dint think to much of it well about 2 days go by and he dint come out at all to get food or anything so I was getting worried well I spotted him in a hole in a rock and he looked fine he was breathing last night all I could see was his head though. Well I woke up this morning and found this
9E728537-F387-4E25-BB6C-C37F286ED31C.jpeg
Literally wanted to cry It was just becoming my favorite fish, I don’t understand why the fish store sold it to me or is it
Unusual for a lawn mower bleeny to attack a goby

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not unusual for different fish of the same phylum to attack each other. The Yasha looked too similar to the lawnmower Blenny, which in turn may have provoked the Blenny and resulted in the goby's death.

I'm sorry for your loss. Moving forwards, do your best to double check quickly if you can. If possible you could use your mobile device and search for "goby and blenny compatibility." This hobby is all about making informed decisions, and I'm sorry you were either misinformed or uninformed.

If you were up to it, I would recommend returning to the store and explaining your situation. Be sure to point out that you were assured it would not be a problem. I hope that they would understand and do their best to make you a happier customer.

On another note, i'm seeing an uptick in nuisance algae in your tank. If you would like assistance in battling that algae, feel free to start a thread and tag me in it using @tsouth. I'd be more than happy to guide you there.

All my best to you, good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doge14

Doge14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not unusual for different fish of the same phylum to attack each other. The Yasha looked too similar to the lawnmower Blenny, which in turn may have provoked the Blenny and resulted in the goby's death.

I'm sorry for your loss. Moving forwards, do your best to double check quickly if you can. If possible you could use your mobile device and search for "goby and blenny compatibility." This hobby is all about making informed decisions, and I'm sorry you were either misinformed or uninformed.

If you were up to it, I would recommend returning to the store and explaining your situation. Be sure to point out that you were assured it would not be a problem. I hope that they would understand and do their best to make you a happier customer.

On another note, i'm seeing an uptick in nuisance algae in your tank. If you would like assistance in battling that algae, feel free to start a thread and tag me in it using @tsouth. I'd be more than happy to guide you there.

All my best to you, good luck

I appreciate it man and the fish store that literally said it wouldn’t be a problem said nothing about the yasha and said they could possibly take back the bleeny for store credit. I stay a hour n 15 mins from the fish store(closet one to me) so I sent pics and messaged them on Facebook really upsetting to know u spend nearly 2 grand with them and never gave a problem and wouldn’t give me atleast a 30$ refund. I still have the bleeny and now it’s just acting full on aggressive I have some Vedios of him just whipping the sand bed making it cloudy all day. My sand bed like 3 inch’s thick and hell just whip the sand in that same spot and make my sand bed look like a dirt bike track. I tried scaring him with my mag float and he full on attacked it, he whipped it with its tail then tried biting it idk what to do with him and I can’t add other fish because I feel like he’ll attack them

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the yasha goby 2-3 weeks ago and about a week ago he was just starting to swim around and wait in the open for his food well I went to the same fish store to get a lawnmower bleeeny, keep in mind I’m new to the hobby so I was listening to the fish store. Well this past saterday I went and got him I told them it was for my biocube 32 which they new already because I bought my whole tank setup from them and everything in it. They said it would be no problem well soon as I put the bleeeny in my yasha went straight to his cave dint think to much of it well about 2 days go by and he dint come out at all to get food or anything so I was getting worried well I spotted him in a hole in a rock and he looked fine he was breathing last night all I could see was his head though. Well I woke up this morning and found this
9E728537-F387-4E25-BB6C-C37F286ED31C.jpeg
Literally wanted to cry It was just becoming my favorite fish, I don’t understand why the fish store sold it to me or is it
Unusual for a lawn mower bleeny to attack a goby
Sorry for your loss. I found this great website to use for checking out fish compatibility as well as requirements when I was doing my research on what to buy:

marinecompatibilityguide.com

Hang in there!

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate it man and the fish store that literally said it wouldn’t be a problem said nothing about the yasha and said they could possibly take back the bleeny for store credit. I stay a hour n 15 mins from the fish store(closet one to me) so I sent pics and messaged them on Facebook really upsetting to know u spend nearly 2 grand with them and never gave a problem and wouldn’t give me atleast a 30$ refund. I still have the bleeny and now it’s just acting full on aggressive I have some Vedios of him just whipping the sand bed making it cloudy all day. My sand bed like 3 inch’s thick and hell just whip the sand in that same spot and make my sand bed look like a dirt bike track. I tried scaring him with my mag float and he full on attacked it, he whipped it with its tail then tried biting it idk what to do with him and I can’t add other fish because I feel like he’ll attack them

Wow that’s incredibly disappointing. I think we both know what the best approach here will be. First and foremost - see if any locals will trade you for the Blenny? Perhaps get some coral out of it. The aggression won’t do you any good long term. Second - not the place to ask for advice anymore. Take the Blenny back, trade it in if you can’t get someone else to take it. Get something and leave, never to return without your own knowledge, and you can get in, get what you need and go. Spread the knowledge - Your word of mouth will speak volumes so long as you are truthful and don’t bash them. Always feel free to message me!

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back