Woke up this morning with a dead fish and a sick looking fish

gabrielw94106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My test perimeters are where they should be but I had a fish in the back of my fluval evo 13.5. On the back side of the sponge. How did this happen. It was one of my only 2 fish and now I dont even know how to feel

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What symptoms do the sick fish have? Physical description? Swimming/behaviour? What type of fish died, and what type is now sick?

OP
OP
gabrielw94106

gabrielw94106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were both clownfish. Neither showing any sickness symptoms until this morning. Symptoms as of right now are the fish gasping while basically laying its stomach on the sand bed. Seems to be doing better now that I turned the flow off to do a water change.

image.jpg

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank?
Ho was it cycled?
What is ammonia and nitrite readings?

I would not leave flow off, you want to be oxygenating the water.

OP
OP
gabrielw94106

gabrielw94106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is 0ppm nitrates are 0.25 ppm. Is it possible the addition of all the snails the other day was too much for the system. The tank is about a month old

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.

Gasping at bottom to my knowledge is due to fish struggling to breath. Ammonia can cause this in a new tank. Lack of oxygen can cause it.

Are the corals opening ?

What was the temp of the tank?

Any chance any sort of chemicals made it into the tank?

OP
OP
gabrielw94106

gabrielw94106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.

Gasping at bottom to my knowledge is due to fish struggling to breath. Ammonia can cause this in a new tank. Lack of oxygen can cause it.

Are the corals opening ?

What was the temp of the tank?

Any chance any sort of chemicals made it into the tank?
The temp was a stable 78.3 and all corals were open and I have no idea what could’ve made it into the tank. The only changes would’ve been the new wave maker as of yesterday. And Friday i had snails arrive.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loses. :(

The snails could have brought in velvet. It could have been encysted upon the shells or even inside the snails as some of them have small amounts of water within the shell to help them when they travel outside of the water line. It can be an extremely fast killer and often the parasites go directly to the gills where the do tremendous damage very quickly overwhelming the fish's ability to transpire oxygen.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Big G curious if you would recommend a fallow period on this tank where velvet isnt necessarily confirmed but a suspect. How common is velvet found on snails, I wonder? I'm guilty of never quarantining my cuc, but I always source from reefcleaners and have never had an issue.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Big G curious if you would recommend a fallow period on this tank where velvet isnt necessarily confirmed but a suspect. How common is velvet found on snails, I wonder? I'm guilty of never quarantining my cuc, but I always source from reefcleaners and have never had an issue.
Clean and sterilize the tank or go fallow. Tough call.
For what it's worth, I always QT anything coming in that is "wet" to keep parasites and disease from my DT. And it's not just parasites like Ich or velvet, but a whole host of other undesirable critters like flatworms, roundworms, nudis, etc. that you can watch for in a QT. Here's a link with more info.

Back