Woke up to a leaking tank...

992gnt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why folks leave the hobby. 9 months in, had the uglies, cyano, GHA, etc. Things were finally settling down, in fact all the water parameters were "perfect" when I tested yesterday. Corals are growing, fish are thriving.

This morning, I find water running across the floor, apparently from a leak at the bottom of the tank in the rear. ATO suggests about 2.5 gallons hit the ground, and I've spent all morning creating 10 gallon and 5 gallon emergency tanks to stack all the rock with corals and move all the fish. The leak is (for me) unrepairable, and the tank itself is only 6 months old. If the manufacturer (JBJ) doesn't stand behind it, I'm probably out. Too much time and money down the drain to set fire to any more cash. What a depressing way to start the day. Only saving grace is that it's a holiday and I was home to catch it.

ReeferMonkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be able to find cheap replacement tank on Craigslist or FB marketplace in the meantime to keep all happy as well...
Yea search aquarium not sure what size tank but Im seeing all diff sizes for about 1-200 bucks on craigslist if you can manage in the meantime...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh man so sorry to hear!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why folks leave the hobby. 9 months in, had the uglies, cyano, GHA, etc. Things were finally settling down, in fact all the water parameters were "perfect" when I tested yesterday. Corals are growing, fish are thriving.

This morning, I find water running across the floor, apparently from a leak at the bottom of the tank in the rear. ATO suggests about 2.5 gallons hit the ground, and I've spent all morning creating 10 gallon and 5 gallon emergency tanks to stack all the rock with corals and move all the fish. The leak is (for me) unrepairable, and the tank itself is only 6 months old. If the manufacturer (JBJ) doesn't stand behind it, I'm probably out. Too much time and money down the drain to set fire to any more cash. What a depressing way to start the day. Only saving grace is that it's a holiday and I was home to catch it.
You caught this early - That’s a Big, Big Win!

Hopefully you don’t give up. Sounds like your a smart Reefer who knows what he’s doing. We all have set backs but what defines us is how we move forward!

This R2R community really understands what you are going through and is here to help you anyway we can! Wished I lived closer - would come over and help.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I completely feel where you are coming from. I started this journey with a secondhand tank. A few months in, I found the seals were failing. Had to do a full work over. Stick with it, it's worth it

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If new tanks leak, I'm not likely to trust a used tank either. This whole ordeal has me bummed out and reassessing priorities lol. Tank is a 65 gallon AIO.
Don't sell used tanks short, my tank sat for 25 years dry in my basement and it's holding water today.
If you go that route, there are deals to be had.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, honestly a worst nightmare for me. Tanks can be replaced from either being really cheap ($75 or less) or getting a nicer tank (like waterbox or red sea) but that will cost hundreds more.

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ooof sorry man .. concerns me cause I just ordered my AIO JBJ45 lol

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't sell used tanks short, my tank sat for 25 years dry in my basement and it's holding water today.
If you go that route, there are deals to be had.
Wow, how big of a tank? I have a 230 in storage for 25years and I'm worried about it leaking if I try to use it.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw this one, and cringed.

I would suggest Hitting tractor supply grab one of these bad boys link until you can figure things out.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, how big of a tank? I have a 230 in storage for 25years and I'm worried about it leaking if I try to use it.
My tank is 130 gallon. I cleaned a whole lotta crap out of it, filled it with water and ran out of the basement lol
Two weeks later I started my reef tank again. 5 months in and all is well.
Good luck with yours!!!

Pic is from the day I filled it
20200916_163915.jpg

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear this happened!! Hopefully the company does right by you and hopefully you continue in the hobby. The "glass half full" side of this is that you were home to catch it early. The good thing about being part of this community is that we can actually feel your pain!!! Is there a local club you can reach out to for help? I say this because there might be people who can keep some/all of your livestock (if needed) until you're up and running again and also help you with the tank like evaluating whether it can be resealed. It sounds like you were starting to reap the rewards of your hard work so stick with it.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw this one, and cringed.

I would suggest Hitting tractor supply grab one of these bad boys link until you can figure things out.
Idk the tank style either (low iron glass, with or without a rim?) but a petco 55 or 75 gallon tank could just replace the whole aquarium for the same price, then just add piece of glass or acrylic to the back to make it an aio. Matters if they want a nicer looking tank though like red sea or others.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
or this from fijicube would work, drop in AIO kit filter.https://www.fijicube.com/collections/aio-diy-kit/products/aio-box-all-in-one-kit-3rd-gen-55-gallon-standard-fiji-cube?variant=19042420719685

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back