Woke up to a leaking tank...

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you stick with it. You're getting a lot of good suggestions for tanks. The cheapo tanks from Petco and PetSmart are just as good as the expensive tanks.

Stay with it, we've all been there.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. There is endless debate on glass versus acrylic with only true negative for acrylic being how easy it scratches. But I personally will only have acrylic from here on out because the seams will never leak and the panels will never shatter. If you avoid fine sand you can keep scratches to a minimum (and they can be sanded out anyway when full of water).

good luck!

capted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 130 gallon. I cleaned a whole lotta crap out of it, filled it with water and ran out of the basement lol
Two weeks later I started my reef tank again. 5 months in and all is well.
Good luck with yours!!!

Pic is from the day I filled it
20200916_163915.jpg
Ran out of the basement!!! LOL....

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why folks leave the hobby. 9 months in, had the uglies, cyano, GHA, etc. Things were finally settling down, in fact all the water parameters were "perfect" when I tested yesterday. Corals are growing, fish are thriving.

This morning, I find water running across the floor, apparently from a leak at the bottom of the tank in the rear. ATO suggests about 2.5 gallons hit the ground, and I've spent all morning creating 10 gallon and 5 gallon emergency tanks to stack all the rock with corals and move all the fish. The leak is (for me) unrepairable, and the tank itself is only 6 months old. If the manufacturer (JBJ) doesn't stand behind it, I'm probably out. Too much time and money down the drain to set fire to any more cash. What a depressing way to start the day. Only saving grace is that it's a holiday and I was home to catch it.

Have you reached out to them? It seems a 6 month old tank should be under warranty if you bought it new.

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why folks leave the hobby. 9 months in, had the uglies, cyano, GHA, etc. Things were finally settling down, in fact all the water parameters were "perfect" when I tested yesterday. Corals are growing, fish are thriving.

This morning, I find water running across the floor, apparently from a leak at the bottom of the tank in the rear. ATO suggests about 2.5 gallons hit the ground, and I've spent all morning creating 10 gallon and 5 gallon emergency tanks to stack all the rock with corals and move all the fish. The leak is (for me) unrepairable, and the tank itself is only 6 months old. If the manufacturer (JBJ) doesn't stand behind it, I'm probably out. Too much time and money down the drain to set fire to any more cash. What a depressing way to start the day. Only saving grace is that it's a holiday and I was home to catch it.
Btw if you haven’t contacted JBJ yet they do have the one year warranty
Have you reached out to them? It seems a 6 month old tank should be under warranty if you bought it new.
jbj does have a 1 year LIMITED warranty. Curious to know what their “limited” means

OP
OP

992gnt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've already sent an email to JBJ inquiring about the warranty process. We actually started with a Petco tank and upgraded to this one after a few months, the wife wasn't a fan of the "dorm room" look and I needed something that could survive with less maintenance. If I decide to replace this one, I'll be going with something with a sump.

I appreciate all the responses. All the livestock has been moved, hopefully I can keep everything alive until I figure out what to do with the DT. I don't have anywhere near enough filter on the 10 gallon, and all the fish and half the coral is in there currently.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If new tanks leak, I'm not likely to trust a used tank either. This whole ordeal has me bummed out and reassessing priorities lol. Tank is a 65 gallon AIO.
I forgot is was Memorial Day today. We were invited to a long times friends house to bbq, pool, hang.
I was in bed trying to decide if I'm going to move away and retire, with or without a wife and a tank, lol.

Reassessing priorities, I'm going off the wagon today. Good luck with your own decision on how to move forward.
fun work GIF by KingfisherWorld

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would document everything, take pics, I'm sure you have given you had time to post here even short videos to show leak , gather as much evidence as possible.
If you don't have a spare tank to save your aquarium inhabitants... as a quick fix (if I was in this scenario) find the leakage area and superglue as much as possible, go spend £10 on superglue keep the reseats,. I would glue that up and use a hairdryer to speed that up

OP
OP

992gnt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like JBJ is going to replace the tank and the stand. Unfortunately, the ETA is unknown (see supply chain issues), so I've had to spring for a new tank to get the fish and corals out of the tiny emergency tanks.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back