woke up to find Almost all my water gone!

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, now I'm considering whetehr I'm dropping the livestock off at an LFS or trying to otherwise save them in a new tank. (If I stay in the hobby, I'll need to set up an uncycled tank this AM. 40 breeder from Petco and the IO instant bacteria)
As long as you’re sand and rock aren’t new, a transfer of those to a new tank won’t cause a full fledged cycle. It’ll be like doing a 100% waterchange. Frustrating I know but you can do it.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are " NO IF's " In This Man's Hobby... Now put your pants and shoes on, Get in the Car and go get that new tank. Come on SOLDIER... CHIN UP... Ahhhhh come on man don't let this little thing make ya quit we would miss you...;) Go ahead say it.. we know but you can say it... You would miss us too.

Love the positivity and encouragement!

You heard the man... get moving! NOW!

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies by the way.

Found the likely culprit: I cleaned my Santa Monica ATS last night, and forgot to reconnect it to the air pump. So, the air line had some sort of pressure that slowly pushed out water all night.

D9862D56-B379-4EFF-87C4-4B30838CFA6E.jpeg

I found it spurting out water just a few minutes ago. So, it's been an airline tube's worth of water slowly coming out all night.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Found the likely culprit: I cleaned my Santa Monica ATS last night, and forgot to reconnect it to the air pump. So, the air line had some sort of pressure that slowly pushed out water all night.

I found it spurting out water just a few minutes ago. So, it's been an airline tube's worth of water slowly coming out all night.

Time to buy a check valve for a dollar!

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed, where the water went is important (probably the biggest issue for this incident).

The signs were subtle: there was no pool of water. (not illogical because i hypothesize this was a constant small trickle). I found some signs of water on the tank, and some fairly subtle signs that it went and pooled across the room (in particular a wet pair of socks I left on that area of the room, with signs of moisture.

Where is went is a mystery; if people don't complain today (maybe the person below is out of town?) I'm gonna guess that it's under the faux wood floor and has been absorbed by the subfloor.

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to buy a check valve for a dollar!

Do they typcially sell them for aquarium-sized airline tubing? If so, a link would be appreciated. (Though I can find the tubing size and search amazon myself later too. :) )

Last edited:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Follow the line and you will find the water is bet

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good catch. New tank not needed
Welcome back to the hobby
Reconnect the line and go upgrade anyway. I mean why not? Right?
Tell the wifey it’s the tank seam and you need to transfer to new tank;)

^^^All of these!^^^

Many multifloor buildings have concrete floors - the water will remain in your apartment. If it is underneath the flooring and left to it's own devices you will end up with horrible mold and mildew issues. You really need to determine just where the water is and do whatever it takes to remediate the issue before the problem becomes much worse.

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^All of these!^^^

Many multifloor buildings have concrete floors - the water will remain in your apartment. If it is underneath the flooring and left to it's own devices you will end up with horrible mold and mildew issues. You really need to determine just where the water is and do whatever it takes to remediate the issue before the problem becomes much worse.

Right, i guess it’s under the floor (and the area I happened to be standing on right now, by the way).

Before I get more water (as in, now) I’m going to get a dehumidifying fan.

walmart here i come

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an aside, I don’t think I’m gonna get the 40 breeder right now. It would be an extra $400 right now, and I would have to move all the stuff, and I don’t think I’ll have it done for another 5 hours or so

I think the tank will be OK again in an hour if I just get some water from the LFS.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they typcially sell them for aquarium-sized airline tubing? If so, a leak would be appreciated. (Though I can find the tubing size and search amazon myself later too. :) )

They make them for airline specifically so air pumps don't back siphon. They carry them at petco or Amazon and so on. Search air line check valve.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back