woke up to find Almost all my water gone!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom line, at very least, unfortunately, you're looking at a new floor.
Once its removed, you will have plenty of room to bleach it if the smell doesnt subside with drying.
The sooner the better so you can avoid any mold damage spreading....

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks.

But, you may have gotten lucky by not affecting your neighbors. Last year When my tank blew, pushing around 70-80G downstairs, my neighbors ceiling fell completely out and destroyed her newly remodeled condo. Insurance payed, but then dropped us.

Good luck on the floors.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies by the way.

Found the likely culprit: I cleaned my Santa Monica ATS last night, and forgot to reconnect it to the air pump. So, the air line had some sort of pressure that slowly pushed out water all night.

D9862D56-B379-4EFF-87C4-4B30838CFA6E.jpeg

I found it spurting out water just a few minutes ago. So, it's been an airline tube's worth of water slowly coming out all night.

Well sorry for any damage that may have caused...specifically in the downstair neighbor's ceiling! But, at least you know the tank is sound with no leaks! Connect a hose and fill with water and you're back in business!!!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the trouble,

Do you have insurance. I would call them if you do and the deductible is not too high. They will send a mold remediation company like service pro out. They will pull the wet area. Put those industrial dehydration units and fans in and also replace the flooring.

If you don’t get it cleaned up 100% that smell may never go away. They should cover it since it is not a flood, depends on the policy if you do have one

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the last two replies. I do have a dehumidifier in the room now.

However, I am very worried taht after some number of hours the water trapped in the (floor? subfloor? in the concrete?) might turn to mold (even worse with saltwater with inevitably lots of organics in it). The dude and Home Depot opined (free advice being what it's worth) that the whole affected floor would need to be bleached to avoid a smell/potential biohazard. :(

What is the active ingredient in bleach? Sodium Hypochloride.

What is the majority of ions in sea salt? Sodium Chloride.

You have water (which can certainly accelerate mold issues) and salt that trickled into your subfloor. Get a dehumidifier and run it 24/7. Stop boiling water, taking showers, etc in the place and you should be back to square one by next weekend.

Then get a tank upgrade.

And never listen to sales persons at the LFS or Home improvement store tell you how to make your tank or home life great again.

Good luck!

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contacted two remediation companies; will follow up with them tommorrow.

The industrial humidifier is going.

CC4D29FA-3D0A-447F-A961-4E5EFEA17685.jpeg

And the tank is full again. Pretty cloudy.

F317E7A4-9535-42DF-94C1-C8AC3D1AB949.jpeg

Since I had to move all the rockwork, I did a bit of re-aquascaping that I've been thinking of for a while. (the damsel has been bullying the gramma, I'm thinking a bit more seperation among all the rockwork will reduce this problem?)

I've already seen one acro frag completely bleach (not a big deal because it was a frag from a n easy-to-accidentally-frag branching acro, I have more). One large frag (Copps Efflo) has a few black spots, but looks OK for now. I'm not inclined to mess with stuff.

ETA: check valves installed!!!!!

Sorry about the trouble,

Do you have insurance. I would call them if you do and the deductible is not too high. They will send a mold remediation company like service pro out. They will pull the wet area. Put those industrial dehydration units and fans in and also replace the flooring.

If you don’t get it cleaned up 100% that smell may never go away. They should cover it since it is not a flood, depends on the policy if you do have one

This is an interesting question. Let's say the cost is $5000; do folks think it's worth filing a claim?

Last edited:

CasaReefer

Promoted To Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And the tank is full again. Pretty cloudy. Since I had to move all the rockwork, I did a bit of re-aquascaping that I've been thinking of for a while. (the damsel has been bullying the gramma, I'm thinking a bit more seperation will reduce this problem?)

This is an interesting question. Let's say the cost is $5000; do folks think it's worth filing a claim?
What is your deductible.

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And never listen to sales persons at the LFS or Home improvement store tell you how to make your tank or home life great again.

Good luck!

Yeah I take such folks advice for what it's worth. And my reading of the guy is that he either really knew what he was talking about or he's a [nonsense] artist; based on what he said there's no in between.

You have water (which can certainly accelerate mold issues) and salt that trickled into your subfloor. Get a dehumidifier and run it 24/7. Stop boiling water, taking showers, etc in the place and you should be back to square one by next weekend.

Then get a tank upgrade.

OK, please explain. The assertion was that the organic-laden salt water got on the floor, "disappeared", was probably aborbed in the concrete, subfloor, and was probably trapped in there. Dehumidifying by itself is, assertedly, not terribly useful; the assertion was that ripping out the laminate, bleaching, and then dehumidifying would be what would work. (I have yet to do that; though I have been planning on replacing the floor in the next six months, I'm not so keen on willy-nilly ripping everything out immediately).

You're saying that a)the bleach is not useful b) the main thing is just dehumidifcation? What would your opinion be on removing the laminate and getting down to the concrete, in what I guess (no hard evidence) the affected area would be?

Thank you very much, by the way!

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And the tank is full again. Pretty cloudy. Since I had to move all the rockwork, I did a bit of re-aquascaping that I've been thinking of for a while. (the damsel has been bullying the gramma, I'm thinking a bit more seperation will reduce this problem?)

Almost certainly, unless you can afford to come off the hip for $5,000 right now! Insurance will no doubt raise your rates or drop you, but at least then the cost will be mitigated over time. Of course, if you have a very high deductible the math might be different.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I take such folks advice for what it's worth.

OK, please explain. The assertion was that the salt water got on the floor, "disappeared", was probably aborbed in the concrete, subfloor, and was probably trapped in there. Dehumidifying by itself is, assertedly, not terribly useful; the assertion was that ripping out the laminate, bleaching, and then dehumidifying would be what would work. (I have yet to do that; though I have been planning on replacing the floor in the next six months, I'm not so keen on willy-nilly ripping everything out immediately).

You're saying that a)the bleach is not useful b) the main thing is just dehumidifcation? What would your opinion be on removing the laminate and getting down to the concrete, in what I guess (no hard evidence) the affected area would be?

Thank you very much, by the way!

You didn't spill that much water. It has spread out into your subfloor. If you keep the air dry in your apartment it may not mold. If it does, then it will be ripped out, presumably. IF it doesn't and you've already stated don't want to pay a deductible (or deal with unexpected purchases/expenditures) then rushing to fix a problem that may not materialize isn't productive.

That's all I meant.

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't spill that much water. It has spread out into your subfloor. If you keep the air dry in your apartment it may not mold. If it does, then it will be ripped out, presumably. IF it doesn't and you've already stated don't want to pay a deductible (or deal with unexpected purchases/expenditures) then rushing to fix a problem that may not materialize isn't productive.

That's all I meant.

Perfect, I understand your thinking. Thanks again!

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Then get a tank upgrade.

Good luck!
Yeah, and Cl2 is just half of NaCl, so it’s just like seawater, you shouldn’t be concerned about it either...

Or it’s an internationally banned poisonous gas and it’s use is a war crime.

You shouldn’t give advice when you have no idea what you are talking about.

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So,retroactivally, should I have rented two dehumidifiers or do folks think one is sufficient? (again, just soliciting opinions)

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So,retroactivally, should I have rented two dehumidifiers or do folks think one is sufficient? (again, just soliciting opinions)
Two is definitely better than one, but you’re probably going to be ok :) keep moving forward.
I had a water issue a few months back and had to completely tear down my 125 that was built in as a cabinet... it’s a struggle. I know.

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is still cloudy today, and still smells. I am adding seachem stability - decent doses every half day or so. I also have Dr. Tim's sludge-away, but I really don't want to mess with stuff; I assume what happened yesterday morning killed a lot of tiny things and bacteria (they were basically like my original photo for five hours yeseterday before I added water, while I went around to Home Depot and the LFS)

I think "not messsing with stuff as much as possible" is the order of the day. For at least the next week.

328D58B6-3EDF-4D24-B449-C97C7EF2C36B.jpeg

One tiny Acropora plana frag is bleached. The rest of that troubled colony and my inadvertent frags of it seem OK. The orange monti cap (actually M. aequituberculata ) seems fine.(I always think it's growing, though I doubt it grew over the past ~24h or so). No fish losses.

No smell in the house, no water and and warped areas are OK. Dehumidifer has taken out several gallons of water from the air. I have two remediation companies coming in for quotes. I assume they will say "u need to replace your floor and disinfect now". I will have to decide whether or not to go with that, or leave the dehumid on for now and replace the floor later. (we were going to replace it in a few months anyway, now's an inconvenient time for it)

ETA: company one says "well we can see it in these parts of the floor. See our hand-dandy moisture-on-drywall-measurement tool - It's also on the dry wall in place x, y, and gone over a little bit to the next room in place x. We'll have to remove the flooring, baseboards, some of the dry wall, and dry the next room. $1500.

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the $1500 is to demo the wet spot, and does that include replacement of drywall and wood frame and warped flooring?

Also curious; How big is the footprint of the wet spot they delineated?

I would keep the dehumidifier running until until the room is dry and crisp like a freshly laundered shirt.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Almost certainly, unless you can afford to come off the hip for $5,000 right now! Insurance will no doubt raise your rates or drop you, but at least then the cost will be mitigated over time. Of course, if you have a very high deductible the math might be different.
Insurance company's don't normally drop you for one claim, they will raise your rates though.

Back