woke up to find Almost all my water gone!

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Insurance company's don't normally drop you for one claim, they will raise your rates though.

yeah, I believe my deductible is $1000, and if the final code is $1200, I’m not going bother to find me an insurance claim

That being said, I did put in for three quotes. Two came to the site and looked at it ($1200 and $1700 to start ripping out the floor tomorrow, the higher cost vendor doing less work, at first blush. I will review their proposals in depth in a few minutes).

the third, after I gave them a brief description, just came back to me with this a few minutes ago:

Based on your information I would recommend deploying a dehumidifier in the area of the spill. You should leave it in place for a week or more with a setting of 45%. That will ensure the inaccessible areas (the underside of the flooring) will dry. Following that process if you notice any visible mold or discoloration in the area we would be happy to evaluate if for you. Water intrusions/episodes do not always result in mold developing. How quickly the area dries, temperature, etc., will/can significantly mitigate mold development. I hope this helps.

It seems @KrisReef does water damage remediation in the DC area? :D :D

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got back and found several corals bleached. Most of the troubled A plana is bleached, as is a Copps Efflo and a branching acro. :( :(

M. digi, M. cap/aequituburculata, Green Slimer/A yongei, War Coral/F. pentagona, a Favia, and three other acros look OK. As does, surprisingly, the walt disney/A. tenuis.

THe tank still does not smell good. I've added an additional marineland polishing filter. I'll have to find an hour or so timeto run DE in it, I think.

And adding GAC - I don't know why I didn't do this yesterday. :mad::eek:

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got back and found several corals bleached. Most of the troubled A plana is bleached, as is a Copps Efflo and a branching acro. :( :(

M. digi, M. cap/aequituburculata, Green Slimer/A yongei, War Coral/F. pentagona, a Favia, and three other acros look OK. As does, surprisingly, the walt disney/A. tenuis.

THe tank still does not smell good. I've added an additional marineland polishing filter. I'll have to find an hour or so timeto run DE in it, I think.

And adding GAC - I don't know why I didn't do this yesterday. :mad::eek:
Bummer about the coral stress!

When my tank smells funky I add MicroBacter7.

Read those quotes carefully, as a lot of those contacts figure that no one can know the real cost until after it’s demolished to see how far the damage goes. Who knows what else is underneath?
Once it’s opened up then the closing costs can be calculated.

So far I don’t think I have any billable hours,... hope the tank recovers quickly.

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copps efflo is gone. (at least he gave me a good price. cuz i was nice to him.......yeah that’s my feel-better comforting nonsense)

Most of the other acros are also showing white. except, oddly, a few, to include a Walt Disney

ETA after @Waters post below: no dead fish, snails, or crusteceans that i am aware of yet.

Last edited:

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do feel bad for you....but.......I can't stop laughing at the first post. A picture of an empty tank with no idea where the water went :D:D:( Losing fish is one thing................

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the diatom filter (Marineland magnum polishing filter with cellulose powder, actually) for a few hours, and a large amount of activated carbon all day, yesterday morning, the tank is clear again.

Unfortunately, almost all my acros have bleached save for my green slimers (A. yongei), a shortcake type (A. microclados), and oddly enough the Walt Disney tenuis. (I noticed now it has been encrusting the past few months, something I wasn't so aware of before the disaster but which of course it must have been doing).

06356C37-C3EB-48DE-8E7D-3EE055FDD494.jpeg

The final bleaching one includes this UI acro I bought this summer, originally as a 1mm high particle (“twig” would be too generous) from the $10 bin at an LFS. :(

FCF7B753-94B2-4472-BAED-6CC578BEA513.jpeg

Last edited:

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the diatom filter for a few hours, and a large amount of activated carbon all day, yesterday morning, the tank is clear again.

Unfortunately, almost all my acros save for my green slimers (A. yongei), a shortcake type (A. microclados), and oddly enough the Walt Disney tenuis. (I noticed now it has been encrusting the past few months, something I wasn't so aware of before the disaster but which of course it must have been doing).

06356C37-C3EB-48DE-8E7D-3EE055FDD494.jpeg

The final bleaching one includes this UI acro I bought this summer, originally as 1mm high particle (“twig” would be too generous) from the $10 bin at an LFS. :(

FCF7B753-94B2-4472-BAED-6CC578BEA513.jpeg
Ugh I hate to hear about the losses. I’m glad you got the water cleared up though, I know it’s stressful trying to fix issues like that.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your title caught my eye, and just finishing reading through. Sorry to read that you are having issues after refilling the system and losing corals.

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone who posted. The tank has sort of recovered. Some corals are gone - mostly acros from other club members :( but the famous name acros - Green Slimer, Walt Disney, and a spathulata from Pacific East - have mostly survived.

The acro I thought I was going to lose to RTN stopped RTNing and is beginnning to cover the RTN'd portions.

871EFB65-7C46-428C-9DE4-D74D25D87DC3.jpeg

g

A spathulata:
25190638-61D5-4034-AC05-FD2220C72742.jpeg

I thought this piece was gone broke it up, and found it wasn’t so bad and put it back together. It’s not doing great, but is ok for now

I now have a small cyano bloom; I blew off the rocks and found them loaded with detritus. I will run the Diatom filter and clean out the skimmer, I think.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad things in the reef are looking better. What's the situation with the floors/walls? Any mold showing up? Smell still gone?

yeah, no mold and no smell. Some of the laninate floor will have to be replaced, at the very least, and probably the whole rest of it.

That does raise an interesting question: if only say 5% on my floor is warped, is it possible to replace only the warped portion, assuming I can find the same kind of laminate?

(I assume any installer will push me to replace the whole floor)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back