Woke up to these guys, what are they?

Le Dirk

View Badges
Reaction score
It got pretty hot in my room tonight, which made me realize that my aquarium temperature is probably sky high. When I turned on the lights to check the temperature I was met by this little critters. I’m not sure what they are, but they don’t seem to be harming anyone. Only one has a red dot in the center and the rest have a white dot. Are these parasites I should worry about?

8B478625-1A90-4358-B1D4-42FCCAD0BC9E.jpeg 9346C53E-51CB-49D0-98B3-5261A5DDFD50.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

SweetReefOH

View Badges
Reaction score
It got pretty hot in my room tonight, which made me realize that my aquarium temperature is probably sky high. When I turned on the lights to check the temperature I was met by this little critters. I’m not sure what they are, but they don’t seem to be harming anyone. Only one has a red dot in the center and the rest have a white dot. Are these parasites I should worry about?

8B478625-1A90-4358-B1D4-42FCCAD0BC9E.jpeg 9346C53E-51CB-49D0-98B3-5261A5DDFD50.jpeg
Hey brother, can we get some background on your experience, what size tank/sump you have and what, precisely, you are worried about?

OP
L

Le Dirk

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey brother, can we get some background on your experience, what size tank/sump you have and what, precisely, you are worried about?
It’s a 36 g bow front. Sorry if you can’t see them, they’re these little see through blobs with a white dot in the middle. Here’s a better picture of one. They sort of look like this but vary in shape and size. I have 4 trochus snails and I had 5 nassarius snails, one died and the other four I cannot find (I know they burrow I can’t seem to find their siphons). I also ordered some shells recently for my hermit crabs.

DCD1759C-AEC9-4062-A043-B7A96B4FC355.jpeg

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock
OP
L

Le Dirk

View Badges
Reaction score
Look like flatworms to me, but you need to get a closer picture so someone can identify the species for you. :)
My phone gets pretty blurry up close so this is the best I can do. I’m not sure how I could’ve gotten flatworms though.

1058D170-379B-48E2-B270-E9EE5F7CCDA4.jpeg

OP
L

Le Dirk

View Badges
Reaction score
I don’t know, they really don’t look like flatworms, but I can’t direct you in the right direction either.....
Thanks! I don’t think they’re flatworms either. I’m not sure how they could’ve gotten there in the first place

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
The closer picture kinda looks like a foot of an anemone. Does it look like one? does it have any tentacles?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
L

Le Dirk

View Badges
Reaction score
The closer picture kinda looks like a foot of an anemone. Does it look like one? does it have any tentacles?
I didn’t see any, there is a little dot in the middle of them. Majority have white, one had red and another yellow. I don’t think they are anemones though, I don’t have any reef lights set up for them to thrive in, I’ve been using my tank lid light for a while now until I can get one.

OP
L

Le Dirk

View Badges
Reaction score
Maybe a sac of snail eggs? Hard to tell.

Anything other than snails and hermits added to the tank?
I ordered some shells for my crabs, they were getting picky about the shells I had and I didn’t want them to kill my snails

OP
L

Le Dirk

View Badges
Reaction score
Looks like Amphiscolops sp. (Ghost Flatworms)

amphiscolops-left.jpg
amphiscolops-right.jpg

From OP's photo:
1590211511367.png

They are considered benign but some say they can become an issue if the population blooms. They lack algal symbiosis and feed on pods.
Looks like it! Anything I should worry about? I don’t want them to take control of my tank, and I don’t want them to harm future coral.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Looks like it! Anything I should worry about? I don’t want them to take control of my tank, and I don’t want them to harm future coral.
Nope part of a new tank. Seem to come and go.

35ppt

Reformed Pirate
View Badges
Reaction score
I mean, they're not really something to worry about but I'd probably pull them out just because they eat pods and don't really do anything positive. I suppose if you had a fish that likes to eat the worms more than the pods could be a reason to keep them.

OP
L

Le Dirk

View Badges
Reaction score
I mean, they're not really something to worry about but I'd probably pull them out just because they eat pods and don't really do anything positive. I suppose if you had a fish that likes to eat the worms more than the pods could be a reason to keep them.
I don’t :(. Unless yellow watchmans and pajama cardinals like them. Are they good for algae control?

The BEST equipment you have bought for your reef came from this category?

• Filtration

Votes: 51 13.2%
  • Testing

Votes: 41 10.6%
  • Lighting

Votes: 132 34.1%
  • Controlling

Votes: 90 23.3%
  • Water Treatment

Votes: 15 3.9%
  • Pumps

Votes: 37 9.6%