Woke up to these guys, what are they?

Le Dirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It got pretty hot in my room tonight, which made me realize that my aquarium temperature is probably sky high. When I turned on the lights to check the temperature I was met by this little critters. I’m not sure what they are, but they don’t seem to be harming anyone. Only one has a red dot in the center and the rest have a white dot. Are these parasites I should worry about?

8B478625-1A90-4358-B1D4-42FCCAD0BC9E.jpeg 9346C53E-51CB-49D0-98B3-5261A5DDFD50.jpeg

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It got pretty hot in my room tonight, which made me realize that my aquarium temperature is probably sky high. When I turned on the lights to check the temperature I was met by this little critters. I’m not sure what they are, but they don’t seem to be harming anyone. Only one has a red dot in the center and the rest have a white dot. Are these parasites I should worry about?

8B478625-1A90-4358-B1D4-42FCCAD0BC9E.jpeg 9346C53E-51CB-49D0-98B3-5261A5DDFD50.jpeg
Hey brother, can we get some background on your experience, what size tank/sump you have and what, precisely, you are worried about?

OP
OP
L

Le Dirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey brother, can we get some background on your experience, what size tank/sump you have and what, precisely, you are worried about?
It’s a 36 g bow front. Sorry if you can’t see them, they’re these little see through blobs with a white dot in the middle. Here’s a better picture of one. They sort of look like this but vary in shape and size. I have 4 trochus snails and I had 5 nassarius snails, one died and the other four I cannot find (I know they burrow I can’t seem to find their siphons). I also ordered some shells recently for my hermit crabs.

DCD1759C-AEC9-4062-A043-B7A96B4FC355.jpeg

OP
OP
L

Le Dirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like flatworms to me, but you need to get a closer picture so someone can identify the species for you. :)
My phone gets pretty blurry up close so this is the best I can do. I’m not sure how I could’ve gotten flatworms though.

1058D170-379B-48E2-B270-E9EE5F7CCDA4.jpeg

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I don’t know, they really don’t look like flatworms, but I can’t direct you in the right direction either.....

OP
OP
L

Le Dirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know, they really don’t look like flatworms, but I can’t direct you in the right direction either.....
Thanks! I don’t think they’re flatworms either. I’m not sure how they could’ve gotten there in the first place

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closer picture kinda looks like a foot of an anemone. Does it look like one? does it have any tentacles?

OP
OP
L

Le Dirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closer picture kinda looks like a foot of an anemone. Does it look like one? does it have any tentacles?
I didn’t see any, there is a little dot in the middle of them. Majority have white, one had red and another yellow. I don’t think they are anemones though, I don’t have any reef lights set up for them to thrive in, I’ve been using my tank lid light for a while now until I can get one.

OP
OP
L

Le Dirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a sac of snail eggs? Hard to tell.

Anything other than snails and hermits added to the tank?
I ordered some shells for my crabs, they were getting picky about the shells I had and I didn’t want them to kill my snails

OP
OP
L

Le Dirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Amphiscolops sp. (Ghost Flatworms)

From OP's photo:

They are considered benign but some say they can become an issue if the population blooms. They lack algal symbiosis and feed on pods.
Looks like it! Anything I should worry about? I don’t want them to take control of my tank, and I don’t want them to harm future coral.

OP
OP
L

Le Dirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, they're not really something to worry about but I'd probably pull them out just because they eat pods and don't really do anything positive. I suppose if you had a fish that likes to eat the worms more than the pods could be a reason to keep them.
I don’t :(. Unless yellow watchmans and pajama cardinals like them. Are they good for algae control?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • None.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back