Woke up with my husband’s Tank cloudy!

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's true then that's all it is, bacteria bloom.

When Vodka dosing you start off slow and build up the daily dose. If you stop for a few weeks and then go right back into your daily dose you will get a bacteria bloom in the water column. I've done this many times, never to the point that it was that cloudy, the only concern I would have is if the pH dropped extremely low. if that's the case I would add an air pump and promote surface agitation to aerate the water. Edit: just as Flipper just suggested^^^

OP
OP
R

renzlao

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband is embarrassed about what is happening. He said his pH sits at 8.3 usually. We have 3 anemones, 1 flower pot, 2 frog spawn, 1 hammer, Euphyllia, zoans (still open). Dead fishes ( coral beauty, 2 clown fish, 2 chromis, 1 starry blenny). The tank is 16 months old and it's been stable other than today.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband is embarrassed about what is happening. He said his pH sits at 8.3 usually. We have 3 anemones, 1 flower pot, 2 frog spawn, 1 hammer, Euphyllia, zoans (still open). Dead fishes ( coral beauty, 2 clown fish, 2 chromis, 1 starry blenny). The tank is 16 months old and it's been stable other than today.
Absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about. This is part of the hobby. Keep us posted of the outcome.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry for your loss.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your fish losses. Sounds like a low O2 issue. Carbon dosing can cause this as the bacteria reproduce very quickly and consume oxygen at an alarmingly fast rate.

As recommended above, point powerheads to the surface for gas exchange.
If you have a skimmer, make sure it's working correctly to help with aeration/gas exchange.

I don't feel water changes at this point will be of any help as it appears it's a low O2 issue.
This would be apparent with milky white/cloudy water.
If the water is clear, the by all means large water changes may be in order as it may not be a bacterial bloom issue.

I still feel it's an O2 issue as you mentioned the pH dropped.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I forgot to mention;
If you still have the milky water look of a bacterial bloom, GAC (granular activated carbon) is effective at helping to reduce/remove blooms. I had one that wouldn't go away after a week and it cleared overnight.

OP
OP
R

renzlao

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone, The water seems more clearer today. We lost all the fish. The corals, very likely as well. They all look very stressed with released of mucus. It look so sad :( we have the Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 skimmer and the bubbling appears to be minimal. I am not certain if its because of the large water changes but we are going to clean the motor. All power heads are pointing upward. Thank you all for all your suggestions!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It becomes a cascade - you put vodka in - there is a bacterial bloom - oxygen decreases - fish die - ammonia produced - more fish die, etc - the only thing to do (IMHO) is to remove all dead things you can find - and let it take its course - water changes to drop ammonia, etc might help - Prime - depending on what else is in the tank might help - parameters - might help (i.e what is your ammonia, etc) - and oxygenation (powerhead at the surface, etc) should help. Likely - there is no quick solution. PS - was it the first time he dosed vodka? Why did he dose vodka and sorry you're going through this mess

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back