Wondering about what i would do if i cant get all the tangs that im putting in my aquarium at the same time

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have a concerned im ordering 5 tangs for my aquarium and hopefully by saturday they should all be at the lfs i did order all of them at the same time but my concern is what if they dont get all 5 species at the same time. I ordered a Hippo, Blonde Naso, White tail Bristle Tooth, Tomini, and a purple tang. If they dont get them all at the same time which ones should i add first based on aggression and what ones last. Im trying to get them all around the 2 to 3 inch mark so they will still be tiny and i know for sure that the purple would be put in last because of how mean zebrasoma species can be but what order should they go in, in your opinions.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously they would all go into a QT so if it's a week or two to get all 5 you can watch them and move stuff around to minimize aggression. Long term it's going to depend as much on individual persoanlity as any other variable. You're getting them pretty small so even if things seem to be ok for a year or two you will need to keep an eye out for aggression as they mature and be ready to rehome anyone as needed.

This article may help some:

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do understand that it does come down to the individual but i unfortunately don't have a qt system because the tank is in my parents house and they didnt want any more tanks set up considering i have a couple other pets outside of reef keeping

OP
OP
Jwise

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a larger 6 foot long system so i guess that helps

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have?

Not sure its a good idea getting both the tomini and whitetail as they are the same species and usually tangs of the same species/shapes are aggressive towards each other.

For order I would go Naso, Tomini as they are all known to be timid/mellow

Next blue hippo, they are a 50/50 aggression

Last Purple, most aggressive

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think that's enough space for 5 tangs, and it is a /very/ bad idea to add multiple tangs to your tank without quarantine. That's an excellent way to wipe out the entire tank from one thing or another.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125
Yeah I agree with other that that tank is no way big enough for five tang. Getting the tomini and white tail is a big no than for that size tank as they are the same species/shape and will become aggressive towards each other. I would do 3-4 tangs max in that tank. The 4 you would have once you take away either the tomini or white tail should be fine. Just be ware the naso and blue hippo grow big and fasr

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 155 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.6%
Back