Wondering how long can I expect my fish to live.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My oldest fish also happen to be my first two fish, clowns of course. They're sitting at 11.5 years since I bought them. They were pretty tiny too so maybe 12 years old? They survived multiple tank moves, a 13 hour ride moving from one state to another, and a tank disaster. I will be crushed when I lose them I'm sure. My kids were 8 and 5 and have watched them grow up and still take very active interest in the tank.

Incredible hobby we're a part of.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious how big Caribbean blue tangs get in the wild? Someone indicated age could be determined somewhat based on growth rate and size. The Caribbean blue tang I have is going on 1.5 -2 years old with me and he was 2-3 inch. He pretty much has grown in some way a half inch a month. Nearly 1.5 times larger than my black long nose tang that is going on 8 years old. (he was electrocuted for 3 weeks during that 8 years, and he looks better now than he ever has... Mostly healed and recovered). But the Caribbean blue tang is easily 8-9 inches if not larger and fat! I mean fat for a tang. He'll almost a whole sheet of nori a day by himself, plus large chunks of my homemade frozen food. I'm amazed at how fast the blue tang has grown. And he's an butt... Plays hide and go scare the crap out of other fish. (He finds large enough places to hide in the shadows, then lunges out at fish.)

I find it intriguing that tangs could live 30+ years. The three tangs I have may outlive me! Wow!

OP
OP
Nemo&Friends

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after reading all these comments, it seem that the fish will outlive me, if I do not mess up somewhere. I started that hobby late, and I had not idea fish could live up to 30 years!
I knew some people recommend not to buy a parrot when you are older, as they will outlive you, never heard anything about fish. They may have to be included in your will...

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised your Black Tang is also a big guy! Was it caught at a decent size? I hope your fish live a long life! 30+ years may well be attainable with good care.
When I got the black tang, he was the size of maybe a quarter. I thought for sure it would die. I got a good price on it as a baby and decided to give it a try. It lived and has been my healthiest fish of my tank! (They're all healthy now). He's got such a gentle and good personality. The black tang is typical tang size probably 6-7" and hasn't grown in a year or two. The blue tang won't stop growing.. I swear, he grows much bigger, and he'll be too big for my 340 gallon, if he isn't already too big.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after reading all these comments, it seem that the fish will outlive me, if I do not mess up somewhere. I started that hobby late, and I had not idea fish could live up to 30 years!
I knew some people recommend not to buy a parrot when you are older, as they will outlive you, never heard anything about fish. They may have to be included in your will...
Yup! In my maintnenace business I've had a couple systems inherited and several that have been through multiple owners as homes changed hands.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious how big Caribbean blue tangs get in the wild? Someone indicated age could be determined somewhat based on growth rate and size. The Caribbean blue tang I have is going on 1.5 -2 years old with me and he was 2-3 inch. He pretty much has grown in some way a half inch a month. Nearly 1.5 times larger than my black long nose tang that is going on 8 years old. (he was electrocuted for 3 weeks during that 8 years, and he looks better now than he ever has... Mostly healed and recovered). But the Caribbean blue tang is easily 8-9 inches if not larger and fat! I mean fat for a tang. He'll almost a whole sheet of nori a day by himself, plus large chunks of my homemade frozen food. I'm amazed at how fast the blue tang has grown. And he's an butt... Plays hide and go scare the crap out of other fish. (He finds large enough places to hide in the shadows, then lunges out at fish.)

I find it intriguing that tangs could live 30+ years. The three tangs I have may outlive me! Wow!
They get about a foot long.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i move to florida, i want to get a few fish. a pair of pucera vero (queen trigger fish) a queen angel and a french angel and see how lonng they live i bet they are all immortal fishs and will be living by the time i die if i can invent a seafood auto catcher and feeder that catches seafood from the ocea, prepares it, & then throws it in the tank. i bet it would live for like 70 years

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Utubereefer how old are yours?
The cranky old clown and the pretty, pretty hippo who wants all the algae in the angry clown's tank!?
If I remember correctly he started his tank in 2017, so even if he has any fish that were from the beginning of the tank they’d be about 5 years at the most.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back