Wondering if I’m having an outbreak?

bigcat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a kole tang die a few days ago and a clownfish today. My other clown is acting weird and it looks like he has spots on him but I can’t tell. Wondering if anyone could give some input
0A907DE9-EA71-46D8-84D8-A271CBCBFB2E.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had a kole tang die a few days ago and a clownfish today. My other clown is acting weird and it looks like he has spots on him but I can’t tell. Wondering if anyone could give some input
0A907DE9-EA71-46D8-84D8-A271CBCBFB2E.jpeg
This is a clear case of Brooklynella.
The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bigcat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
Awesome. Thanks so much for diagnoses and the help with treatment!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bigcat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a quick follow up question if you don’t mind helping again. I’ve got several other fish in the tank that don’t appear to have been affected by the brooklynella and aren’t showing any symptoms (wrasse and several chromis). Would you recommend treating them as well in QT tank (or display), or should they be safe to be left alone?

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a quick follow up question if you don’t mind helping again. I’ve got several other fish in the tank that don’t appear to have been affected by the brooklynella and aren’t showing any symptoms (wrasse and several chromis). Would you recommend treating them as well in QT tank (or display), or should they be safe to be left alone?
All fish can be infected, so it is safest to treat them all.

Upvote 0

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is definetly brooks. Treat with formalin. Ruby rally pro or malachite green may work. I had an outbreak of this and it killed 3 fish in a week. It kills fast!

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
no but keep an eye on them. Brook generally focuses on the host fish

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back