Wondering why my fish died?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trying to understand what happened with my Royal Granma?

The first 5 months he hide in the rocks, would pop out the odd time to eat or to scare the shrimp away from its cave, but then one day it literally changed personally overnight, it came out of his cave and would sit on the sand bed, I thought he was dead as he was just laying there and so weird to see him out, then he moved into the clowns area and again just sat, they beat him up some but he wouldn’t move, they accepted him after a day and he stayed with them for a week, not really moving at all, wasn’t eating from what I could tell, then he left that area and started moving sand around , someone said he was building a nest to attract a female.
But after a week or two of this again just would sit on the sand, the odd time he would dash around the tank madly for a minute then back to sitting, never eating from what I could see, he was getting thinner all the time, till he died.

I don’t feel it was an illness as he was fine for the first few months, I’ve not added anything to the tank after him, could it have been a mating thing? Because there were no females he stopped eating trying to build the nest and look for a female?

Sorry not much to go on, just trying to make sense of it.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there was nothing visible on the exterior, then I'd say it likely suffered from internal parasites. Often being wild caught, royal grammas tend to carry illnesses that pop up after a while. Was there any other changes/additions in livestock recently?

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there was nothing visible on the exterior, then I'd say it likely suffered from internal parasites. Often being wild caught, royal grammas tend to carry illnesses that pop up after a while. Was there any other changes/additions in livestock recently?
No, two clowns before him, then added him, was in for 5 months before this all started.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes these things just happen, and pop out of nowhere. Keep an eye on the other fish. Is their poop at all white or stringy? That is often a sign of internal parasites.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad Rest In Peace GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals
I am so sorry. I know it's a fish but they are our finny little friends. I wish I had some wisdom for you but I have not gotten my Gramma yet. If you figure it out, please share.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks however Atlantic fish are still typically wild caught. Also personified love info pacific modeled tanks.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back