Woo Hoo, Jawbreaker Mushroom starting to show purple and teal hints.

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed my mama jawbreaker mushroom is developing purple and teal highlights as of late along with a few cute little babies. I have been waiting a long time to see if the purple would develop as that would just throw this incredible mushroom into the stratosphere as far as beauty. I know this thread is worthless without a picture but the colors are justdeveloping and will be difficult to pick up with my woeful camera skills. As soon as the purple and teal develops more in the body of the shroom to the point that the picture will be totally awesome I'll shoot it. In the meantime here is a shot of it from about 4 months ago.

Jawbreaker mama with baby 4-13-12 sm.jpg

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Jawbreakers are pretty sweet. How long have you owned this pretty little specimen?

I've read that it can take a year for it to produce one baby.

Lowsingle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
killer shroom......I can't wait to see the other colors in a photo....mine is just orange with a small sliver of red......

Darren

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I want one of these bad! Congrats on the new colors!

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine, I have 2-3 with multi colored one's now. I have found they star orange, some times if your lucky and get some red in there too, then red comes, then purples, greens, pink then blue's. Most the time it starts as a little speck like the lime green in this picture and then it just starts to get bigger till its a strip almost.

AO GameOver by matsinger2, on Flickr

OP
OP
slojmn

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did not produce its first baby until I had had it for over 3 years. I got it as a very small baby way back when from a good reefing buddy. It is a long time investment, hehehehehe. Now it seems to produce 2 babies every 6 or so months. My babies come out beautifully colored red and orange right from the start...the babies are defienitely replicas of mama. I may have more than 2 babies as I noticed what should develop into another baby on the opposite side from the current babies on the underside of mama the other day. I've heard it can be up to five years to get the full grown mama to develop all the colors. I have heard that if you cut the mushroom at fully developed and all colors are present you will get a fully colored mushroom but I would never do that. I prefer to let nature takes its course. It is so much more satisfactory and fun to watch it develop. That's why I am so thrilled to see the purple and teal coming in every so slightly.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice! I need one! LOL!

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did not produce its first baby until I had had it for over 3 years. I got it as a very small baby way back when from a good reefing buddy. It is a long time investment, hehehehehe. Now it seems to produce 2 babies every 6 or so months. My babies come out beautifully colored red and orange right from the start...the babies are defienitely replicas of mama. I may have more than 2 babies as I noticed what should develop into another baby on the opposite side from the current babies on the underside of mama the other day. I've heard it can be up to five years to get the full grown mama to develop all the colors. I have heard that if you cut the mushroom at fully developed and all colors are present you will get a fully colored mushroom but I would never do that. I prefer to let nature takes its course. It is so much more satisfactory and fun to watch it develop. That's why I am so thrilled to see the purple and teal coming in every so slightly.

Reefer buddies are cool, I used to have a few of those... :pout:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back