WooHoooo! Reborn is reborn.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just grow your own! Though it’s kind of a long and painful process, this is what I resorted to when I ran low. You don’t want to know what some of those corals were...

F68205B6-1FA8-4180-B260-202CC65496B1.jpeg
That will work, but I wouldn't want to have enough dead coral to fill my reactor.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just grow your own! Though it’s kind of a long and painful process, this is what I resorted to when I ran low. You don’t want to know what some of those corals were...

F68205B6-1FA8-4180-B260-202CC65496B1.jpeg
Were it not for my reef reorg I would be in some trouble already. 10 lbs of no-name acropora, monti cap, and monti digi have sufficed for a good while. Supplemented with ARM coarse.

Maybe if I just let the aefw go wild for a while my consumption will fall and my media stock will rise...

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will work, but I wouldn't want to have enough dead coral to fill my reactor.

I've got enough to fill my large reactor at least 10 times over if I start smashing things up... I've grown all of it, a move gone wrong killed most of it, so I suppose I can kill it too ;)

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got enough to fill my large reactor at least 10 times over if I start smashing things up... I've grown all of it, a move gone wrong killed most of it, so I suppose I can kill it too ;)
Crush it up. Bag it. Photoshop a TLF Reborn label. List on ebay for $200.
Repeat.

Hilltopreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update on the middle keys product. I changed out all of my ARM media yesterday to the middle keys product and everything is stabilizing. The affluent DKH went from 15 DKH to 20 DKH in one day and my alkalinity in the tank has went to 8.6 from 8.2 and falling. I’ll have to watch the tank DKH and dial in the drip rate but we certain see this media beats the hell out of ARM. With the ARM I barely could keep it in The mid 7 range. I know that’s not to bad but I was having to pour the C02 to the reactor to get that. It was making my Avast Seabones cavitate. I was using Enough to keep the ph at 6.5 to even keep the alkalinity at 15 DKH using the ARM media. Now I have it at 6.6 ph and getting 20 DKH from the middle keys stuff. I wouldn’t advise anyone to use ARM media especially if using an Avast Seabones Reactor. Anyway I’m so far very happy with the alternative to Reborn. We will see I guess but so far so good.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update on the middle keys product. I changed out all of my ARM media yesterday to the middle keys product and everything is stabilizing. The affluent DKH went from 15 DKH to 20 DKH in one day and my alkalinity in the tank has went to 8.6 from 8.2 and falling. I’ll have to watch the tank DKH and dial in the drip rate but we certain see this media beats the hell out of ARM. With the ARM I barely could keep it in The mid 7 range. I know that’s not to bad but I was having to pour the C02 to the reactor to get that. It was making my Avast Seabones cavitate. I was using Enough to keep the ph at 6.5 to even keep the alkalinity at 15 DKH using the ARM media. Now I have it at 6.6 ph and getting 20 DKH from the middle keys stuff. I wouldn’t advise anyone to use ARM media especially if using an Avast Seabones Reactor. Anyway I’m so far very happy with the alternative to Reborn. We will see I guess but so far so good.

Thank you for the data. That is very instructive and encouraging. I have 10 lbs on the way now. My half acre of monti cap, monti digi, and green slimer just got a temporary stay of execution.

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also ordered the Middle Keys product. Removed the shells and this is the final product

E4CD4EF1-4EDD-4F47-852A-2E51C512BC8F.jpeg

Still need to install the reactor to test this but it does look promising as the majority of the media is dead skeletons.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Middle Keys product arrived yesterday. Started but haven't finished sifting out the shells. Will report my loss/recovery rate when done, but the product certainly seems legit to me. The @Robinson picture above is a fair representation.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Middle Keys product arrived yesterday. Started but haven't finished sifting out the shells. Will report my loss/recovery rate when done, but the product certainly seems legit to me. The @Robinson picture above is a fair representation.

Replying to myself now. Sadly, not that unusual.

Here is a photo of the Middle Keys product once I separated the shells. By volume maybe 15% loss? The rest looks just like Reborn. At $35 for 10 lbs is no bargain given the hour it took me to separate.

IMG-4651.jpg

Hilltopreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looking forward to getting my hands on a batch of Reborn but the Middle keys stuff I ordered is working fine. Don’t think it’ll ever replace Reborn only because it’s not cheaper. It’s the same product you just loose a little to a few rocks and shells. Maybe 10% The remainder is the same Dead coral skeletons as reborn. It’s putting out about 20 DKH at 6.6 ph. Wish they would lower the price and they could take a chunk out of the Reborn market.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back