Woooo Woooo! 95G Tank build! (1st tank ever)

inkedsparkster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I want to start off by introducing myself. My name is Eric and I am from the Pacific Northwest way up in the corner (Washington.) Reading the "introduce yourself" threads, everyone talked about writing a tank build thread, so I figured I'd just start with that first!

Alright so my tank is currently being built at a LFS. Probably won't get it until end of the month. However in the meantime I have been busy. I will first show you the design of the tank. It is a 36x24x24.
eric reynolds tank.jpg

The stand I will be building (hopefully I can start on it within the next couple of weeks) is going to be an ADA style stand like this one shown. However it will be oversized so the tank will actually be smaller then the actual dimensions of the stand.
ADAstyleStand_12.jpg

I also already have everything for the tank. All I am missing is an LED fixture, sump tank, misc. plumbing fittings and I'm sure some other misc. stuff that I haven't ordered. Here is a picture of everything I have so far.
photo.jpg

The list includes:
- RLSS-R6-I skimmer
- Waveline DC-6000 pump
- JBJ ATO
- Eheim Jager 150w heaters (x2)
- Various Red sea test kits
- Red Sea Coral salt
- JBJ siphon
- Milwaukee MC122 pH controller
- Milwaukee refractometer
- Buckeye Field Supply 75 GPD RO/DI system

Well that's it for now. I'll keep ya up to date if I get any progress on this build. Oh and this will be a mixed coral tank w/some fish. So excited to get started!:smile: I will also answer any questions or take any feedback as well. Would love to hear from any other PNW hobbyists out in this area as well.

kingator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cant wait to see it in action ....tagging along , great start already

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R and sweet looking start to the build! Love the tank!

OP
OP
inkedsparkster

inkedsparkster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went down into the crawlspace to view the joists under the floor where I am going to put the tank. Well that turned into me calling clean crawls and having my crawlspace re-insulated and new vapor barrier and everything! (It had been taken over by rodents awhile back apparently.) So now I am ready to run a dedicated 20A circuit from the garage to where the tank will be. I am also going to reinforce the floor by adding some cross members under the tank and probably adding cinder blocks or some kind of bracing. That is my recent update.

OP
OP
inkedsparkster

inkedsparkster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for asking Chris! It has been a slow process. And lots has changed on the build. My tank should finally be done next week! The glass for the tank had to be sent back and re-cut 3 times! The good news is all 3 sides (excluding the back) are now going to be starfire. They shipped an extra piece of starfire so yeah. I am going to pick up the stand in an hour. My friend welded it up for me. I uploaded a picture of the stand she sent me. I am ordering dark smoked acrylic which will be for the sides of the stand. I will take the stand back to my friend when I get the acrylic and have tabs welded onto the legs. This way I will glue strong magnets to the acylic which will hold the acrylic sides on and set back to be flush with the legs of the stand. I have sent a drawing to Synergy Reef systems to give me a quote for the sump/ATO. Still waiting to hear back on that.
I am also waiting for my neptune/apex system to show up. My LFS ordered it but neptune/apex is backed up and trying to catch up on orders.

securedownload.jpg

OP
OP
inkedsparkster

inkedsparkster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Chef. I threw a budget out the window weeks ago haha, and I'm just doing what I want to do and doing it right the first time so I don't have to re-do anything. I forgot to add, I installed the RO/DI upstairs under my sink. I made the clean line long enough to reach the shower stall. That way I can put a bucket in the shower and if I don't catch it before it's full it will just overflow into the shower.

RODI.jpg

OP
OP
inkedsparkster

inkedsparkster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man. I like clean installs for sure. It turned out my PSI was only 30 and I wanted to get that 50 psi that's suggested for this brand of RO/DI. So I bought a booster pump and it can run at its max potential.

OP
OP
inkedsparkster

inkedsparkster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I got the stand in place! I still have to have some tabs welded on it for the removable sides, and then have it powder coated. But here it is!

stand.jpg
stand1.jpg

OP
OP
inkedsparkster

inkedsparkster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, update on the tank! All the welding was finished and I got it back from the powder coating shop. Now in the process of designing the sump/ATO reservoir. The stand will have smoked acrylic sides (on the two view able sides.) I am also designing a Wooden insert that will go under the top of the stand and it will house the electronics.

20140128_050110.jpg

OP
OP
inkedsparkster

inkedsparkster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update. Sump is being built and everything is still getting pieced together. Got my Apex Neptune system sitting in the living room and just gotta get that stand all done.
ERICS SUMP.jpg

OP
OP
inkedsparkster

inkedsparkster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Just got some bad news........the tank has to be euro braced =( Apparently when the calculations were done on the tank it was right on the cusp of being ok at 3/8th glass vs. 1/2.'' Well he went with 3/8th without telling me how close the numbers were. Well as the maker was doing a water test on the tank he didn't like how much deflection the tank was showing. So he is paying to euro brace the tank. I am sad it won't be a rimless tank anymore, but it's not costing me anything and I would rather have it strong and not break/leak then be rimless.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back