Working in the Aquarium Industry: Would you consider it?

Would you ever consider working in the aquarium industry?

• Yes

Votes: 463 48.0%
  • Yes but would depend

Votes: 310 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 175 18.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 17 1.8%

• Total voters

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000% yes!! Working in the industry 25 years ago is why I’m hooked to this day. I met the curator of the St. Louis Zoo‘s Aquatic House back in the mid-90s because of my job and was able to donate my red-tailed catfish and red-bellied pacus to our zoo‘s Amazon river exhibit.

Still makes me smile to think maybe I helped someone realize how awesome aquatic life is.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1. Would you ever consider working in the aquarium industry? Why or why not?

As a manufacturer rep- Maybe. On the retail side - No. As many know, I owned a full line retail store for 12+ years. I took the store down when i got divorced and as successful as it was , I had no regrets. There was excitement in getting shipments and taking home a prized fish occasionally, but there was also livestock loss, customer attitudes (people wanting something for nothing or trying to barter), Many long hours and many chores. You pretty much worked 70-80 hours to earn after the bills what you made in 40 hours at a regular job which I also had.

2. If you did work in the industry what would you want to be doing or owning?

Trade shows and expos. We are in a very tough market with many online vendors and a very uncertain economy, not to mention competitors (Petco, Petmart, Pet Supply Plus and many others) who make this ownership less than promising.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000% yes!! Working in the industry 25 years ago is why I’m hooked to this day. I met the curator of the St. Louis Zoo‘s Aquatic House back in the mid-90s because of my job and was able to donate my red-tailed catfish and red-bellied pacus to our zoo‘s Amazon river exhibit.

Still makes me smile to think maybe I helped someone realize how awesome aquatic life is.

Salty, what part of the lou are you in?

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work in the industry doing maintenance, installs, and moves. Not a lot of the stores down here provide these services so they’re happy to refer me customers.

Actually quit my full time bartending job to do this full time three months ago. Never been busier.

Edit: I’ve been doing this professionally but part time for a few years, just recently made the full time jump.

Royalreef22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do it in a heart beat! I was going to apply at a LFS but was 15 or 16 and didn't feel they would hire me. I am 17 and work with my uncles company now but I would leave so fast for the right opportunity! I would want to own eventually but gotta learn first! Reasons are the obvious!

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had pretty bad experiences working at my LFS due to poor management, but after I complete my marine biology degree I'd like to open a shop of my own and/or study inverts

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would if they paid what I make as a chemical engineer but I doubt it.

Funky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iwould not it's hard to find the time i need to work on my own tank let alone a whole store full

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Would you ever consider working in the aquarium industry? Why or why not?
No, I didn't go to school to complete my Ph.D. to get into the aquarium industry.

2. If you did work in the industry what would you want to be doing or owning?

N/A

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only ever worked in the pet industry and don't really know anything else. I started volunteering at a chain store until I was old enough to be hired and continued to work there until the chain collapsed. I freaking loved it, few things are as rewarding as properly caring for an assortment of animals, helping people find pet that will bring them joy for years and get others involved in the hobby not to mention talking to fellow hobbyist! I think I owe the lions share of my people skills to working in that retail environment. Keeping animals brings a lot of people joy and I think it's just awesome to be apart of that. It's also nice to see people staying connected to nature and taking interest in its beauty and conservation.

Animals are always going to be a massive part of my life and I can't imagine doing anything that doesn't revolve around them. It's just in my blood.

I would never want to own a store- That part is a nightmare ;Dead However I think I will always enjoy working in one although I hope eventually I'll go on to do more impactful conservation work but for now I just stoked to be able to share my passion for the wild with whomever says "I've been thinking about getting a fish tank".

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I wold work in!
1st I want to have my own marine/coral shop (mainly corals), supplements and equipment.
2nd I'm working on it, and hoop soon to be real.
I love the corals mainly, and the invertebrates, I'm not that much after the fish.
I have already computer shop for sales and repairs, but that's not satisfying me anymore, working in this industry for over 25 years ...., want to change, and to do something on that hobby.

Scott Halseuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to own a store. I have only been in the reef hobby for about 10 years. I got into it thru a friend. As a veteran with PTSD, I have found that my tank is very soothing when my PTSD goes on hiatus and brings my back to where I should be. Therefore I would love to help other Veterans, with an aquarium. I also love to see all the beautiful and wonderful things the God has given us to view. What a way to share with others.

Jon Warner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've really done it most of my life...

As a teenager, helping out at a LFS... Managing a LFS during college, started a Maintenance company by 22, slinging fish and corals as a jobber for a few years, partner in a LFS, then started Warner Marine around 30 and here I am, 25 years later.

FOURTY years in the business.

But it's been glorious. I've met 1000's of awesome people, built $500k systems, seen/purchased every rare fish or coral ever... traveled the World, dived with the fishies, authored patent applications, launched dozens of products, helped thousands of aquarists and had a great time doing it.

I'm not sure I'd change a thing...

And I haven't "punched a timeclock" since I was a teenager.

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many, many years ago in the early days of marine keeping (1970's)- I did it was great fun. All the kit we sold was F/W with instructions of how to modify it. Explaining to almost every customer 'no you can't keep clownfish with guppies'

Every import was a journey into the unknown, we ordered by fax and what arrived usually wasn't what was on our list- I remember we've had baby turtles, sharks and on one memorable occasion over 30 Achilles Tangs delivered.

Getting to London airport at 2AM, a 2 hour journey, to collect the import, waiting 3 hours for them to clear customs, and a 2 hour journey back, then unpacking. Then going through the books (remember them- no internet back then) trying to ID what we had, and what to feed them.

Happy days! I'm far too old for it now, I'm glad I got out when I did.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have. Several years I worked for Ocean Revive before it was sold by the US owner back to EverGrow in China.

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be great to be a collector who dives for livestock in the South Pacific. I’d need a partner though because the shipping aspect sounds less glamorous.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back