Working through broken AC uuuuggghhh

vcarlyle62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my reef tank about 8 months old and thriving, made it thru Many problems already and finally getting fair handle on chemistry and BAAAAM!! AC unit crabs out on me. BRS warned me in many Gideon to be prepared but at least I knew what to do without pricey chiller. Came home and tank was 84,6 degrees and I panic . But fan placed and frozen water bottles and tank is now at 80.2 degrees abd managing to keep it here with a lit of work. Everything looks to be happy at the moment, hopefully no losses.

20220814_102442.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fan blowing across water surface helps a lot and keep rotating frozen bottles in.

OP
OP
V

vcarlyle62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having trouble with freezing the bottles as fast as I'm using them but so far so good, staying around 80-81 degrees. And my fallow tank period must have worked good because no ich popping up , I'm sure the fish got stressed but all still looking good. They didn't really eat this am but hoping they will come thru it. AC repair guy here Monday afternoon, temp outside is 98!! Uuugghh. Thinking about maybe buying some bags of ice and putting them ziplocks to float if I get behind on temp.

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is my nightmare. And we have a chinchilla to boot...u think reefs are sensitive to high temps, get a chinchilla! Good luck, sounds kind you have this think licked

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having trouble with freezing the bottles as fast as I'm using them but so far so good, staying around 80-81 degrees. And my fallow tank period must have worked good because no ich popping up , I'm sure the fish got stressed but all still looking good. They didn't really eat this am but hoping they will come thru it. AC repair guy here Monday afternoon, temp outside is 98!! Uuugghh. Thinking about maybe buying some bags of ice and putting them ziplocks to float if I get behind on temp.

Lost a reef back in 08

AC went down while we in Florida for vacation. To this day use a chiller on every reef since.

Our ac blew out in 2018, took two weeks to get it resolved. Super hot, but our chiller did it’s job and saved that reef.

Glad you got it covered on this occasion…. :)

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep a backup method for the chiller, in case the power goes out.

I ended up getting a generator as it cost peanuts compared to the stock in the tank

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chiller you would recommend? My tank is 40 gallon plus 20 gallon sump

Yeah,
In terms of an ac going out and your home reaching a high temp, look into the Teco (SeaChill) TK-500.

Bought the TK 1000 for my 110 gallon many years ago and it is still going strong.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is your aquarium? I’d be more inclined to get a Spot Cooler, that has a Two Pipe Condenser. The Cheap ones that they sell at the big box stores are junk though. Also you can rent them in most cities. A good option is to get a Water Cooled unit, if it’s difficult to discharge the hot air.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back