World's 2nd deadliest poison, in an aquarium store near you!

Discussion in 'Zoa Discussion (CLUB ZOA)' started by revhtree, Aug 21, 2012.

1. AcroNem

AcroNem Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

The best way to go about this is just be safe and cautious with it. I cut them all the time and have only had one time where I was poisoned and it was my fault for not wearing gloves thinking I had done it a hundred times and was safe. So just wear gloves, glasses, and clean everything when you're done.

2. AcroNem

The best way to go about this is just be safe and cautious with it. I cut them all the time and have only had one time where I was poisoned and it was my fault for not wearing gloves thinking I had done it a hundred times and was safe. So just wear gloves, glasses, and clean everything when you're done.

3. AcroNem

Oops double post

4. trahelyk

trahelyk Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

That's pretty much the approach I've taken up. I really don't want anything in the tank that could conceivably kill me. As much as I love the hobby, there just isn't any coral or fish worth the risk to me. But I do still admire them in others' tanks.

5. Jpmumaw

Jpmumaw Active Member

I know this an old thread but I was doing some research since I don't know enough yet and honestly kinda scary considering I want my kids to be involved in the tank with me! Guess that's kinda outta the question now about all they can do it look at the tank now. Not worth taking the chance. Considering most places you buy coral have a zoa or paly in the same tank is there a chance the toxin could be on the other corals? Simply from water transfer?

6. LegitFish

LegitFish Well-Known Member

In my experience this shouldn't be an issue. I believe the only time you would encounter a real issue is direct exposure to an open wound, or slight skin irritation if there is no open wound with direct polyp to skin contact. I think now a days we have options like Benidril or skin ointment that can prevent any infections. One issue I have come across is if spouse are inhaled once the polyps are dried. At a store I worked at we dried some egg crates that had overgrown polyps in them. We then brushed the dried polyps off, and it made a dust in the air. That night, we all had flu like symptoms. The next day tho, it was pretty much gone. I think as long as you don't dry polyps, or come into direct contact with an open wound, you should be ok.

KcAQUARIUMS likes this.
  7. Desmond

Desmond Well-Known Member

very nice read up. My hands reacted badly before to a paly and had a rash for over 3 weeks all over my hands. Lesson learned i wear gloves now.