World's 2nd deadliest poison, in an aquarium store near you!

Discussion in 'Zoa Discussion (CLUB ZOA)' started by revhtree, Aug 21, 2012.

1. tangerine3486

tangerine3486 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

With the right permit :)

2. Mark Gray

Mark Gray Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Nice

3. Bama-Reefer

Bama-Reefer Active Member

I've got in a hurry fooling around in my tank a few times and felt my hand go numb mins later numb all the way to the shoulder. Kinda stupid not to take it serious all it takes is one time for something serious to happen.

4. dvanrij

dvanrij Member

Hahahah awesome stance on that by the toxicologist

cdness, cracker and Medic755 like this.
  5. Medic755

Medic755 Active Member

From where I live to there, if I had enough intake I wouldn't even survive the 30 min drive.

6. Teddy00024

Teddy00024 Member

I never knew how potent this stuff was until it one day it got into my eyes. I was rearranging some rock work in my tank and brushed up against some palys with my hands. Most of the stuff rinsed off with the tank water so I didn't think much of it. I later dryed my hands and went about my business. Later in the day my eyes start to sting. I couldn't not remember what I did for my eyes to get so aggravated. It wasn't until a couple of days later that I read of the dangers of palytoxin. It looks like I rubbed my eyes after finishing the maintenance I was conducting on my tank. Luckily it was not serious as it did not require a visit to the ER. Lesson learned the hard way, always wash your hands after working on your tank!!

7. Katrina71

Katrina71 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Hospitality Award

I said it on the other palytoxin article, but there should be warnings posted at the lfs. It needs to be an industry standard.

8. littlebigreef

littlebigreef Active Member Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I once took Utter Chaos juice right to the eyeball. Swelled up, got red and itchy but was otherwise ok after a day or two. Never gotten the paly juice on me before though.

9. Parsec

Parsec Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

That is insane. I dont cure my rocks, much less boil the **** out of them.

10. Dburr1014

Dburr1014 Active Member

I have 2 green zoa on a rock. The bigger ones look eerily like the ones in the last coral magazine. The ones they claim are dangerous.
    I got them from frag farmer market. Nobody wanted them so the guy gave them to me. Every time I move them they slime up, snot comes off them. (yes I use gloves) so I'm debating to getting rid of them. I put them to the side so they won't spread to other rocks.
    They scare me after reading all the problems lately. I have grandchildren that always want to feed the fish and I would feel horrible if they got sick. What to do? 20180402_191648.jpg

11. norfolkgarden

norfolkgarden Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019

Wear gloves and eye protection, roll the rock in some newspaper, toss in a plastic bag and seal it and dump in trash.
    There is a reason no one wanted them.

They are a fast grower, so you will be stuck with a lot of them instead of other, prettier and safer things.

Run carbon in your system for a week or so after getting rid of them to remove 99% of the paly toxin.

We have had them for years without a problem.

As far as danger goes, we have several varieties that are similar and just as toxic. They just look prettier. We keep them because it's the few Zoas, Paly's that our flame angelfish won't eat.

Honestly the only way you should have serious problems with them is when you are fragging them, or someone who thinks 'cooking' the rock they are on actually means heating it up on a stove.

For anyone who needs instructions on proper salt water fish tank rock 'cooking', please Google it.
    It is simple but too long to post here.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

DSC reef likes this.
  12. PStergiou78

PStergiou78 Member

I bought a tank with these in them, and not sure if these are poison either. IMG_20180625_223812.jpeg IMG_20180625_223805.jpeg

13. KWSanders

KWSanders Member

I fly airplanes too. the rule is try not to learn from your mistakes, learn from other's mistakes. Not enough time to learn them all yourself

JustDewwit and norfolkgarden like this.
  14. AcroNem

AcroNem Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Those appear to be Mojano anemones. They do not harbor Palytoxin but can sting surrounding corals.

15. AcroNem

AcroNem Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I almost said they were Duncanopsammia. By chance do they have a skeleton?

16. PStergiou78

PStergiou78 Member

I don't think so, but unsure. I have to get a closer look. Hot the tank late, and spent time cleaning it

17. Dburr1014

Dburr1014 Active Member

Oh man, they are all over. I hope they aren't manjos. I'm not sure which is worse to have.

AcroNem likes this.
  18. AcroNem

I'd rather have Protopalythoa or Palythoa all over than Mojano all over my system.

19. fire4755

fire4755 Member

Every once in a while you hear it happening. As long as you're careful you should be okay.

Draft saved Draft deleted