World's First $10,000 Coral - Purple Monster Jawbreaker Mushroom

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they actually exist in the wild but they are impossibly rare. There are only 5 known purple monster mushrooms. I have one. The original buyer Nguyen has one, big r corals has one and bsa corals have the other two. Of course each mushroom varies with its own intensity of colors. I've seen 4 of the 5 of the existing purple monsters and none of them have the intensity of colors that the one posted that gets all the attention has. Bsa corals was the original person that put the PM up for sale and I got mine from him so I know its legitimate. I'm told the crazy colors develop the older the mushroom gets. When I got my shroom it was the size as a tip of an eraser and now it's about as big around as a medicine bottle cap. Beautiful very distinctful jawbreaker

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats crazy... im still looking for a center piece for my tank and this is something I would love but thats wayyyyyyyyyy too expensive..

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just turned my lights on and took these pics. Shes about the same size as the ultra candy crush you see to the left when fully open. But all I have is collector type rarities. Og bubbles, sunkists, candy crushes etc
Thats crazy... im still looking for a center piece for my tank and this is something I would love but thats wayyyyyyyyyy too expensive..

20180721_011852.jpg

20180721_011836.jpg

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Legit... Whered you get them? Im constantly looking for auction snipes on ebay

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they actually exist in the wild but they are impossibly rare. There are only 5 known purple monster mushrooms. I have one. The original buyer Nguyen has one, big r corals has one and bsa corals have the other two. Of course each mushroom varies with its own intensity of colors. I've seen 4 of the 5 of the existing purple monsters and none of them have the intensity of colors that the one posted that gets all the attention has. Bsa corals was the original person that put the PM up for sale and I got mine from him so I know its legitimate. I'm told the crazy colors develop the older the mushroom gets. When I got my shroom it was the size as a tip of an eraser and now it's about as big around as a medicine bottle cap. Beautiful very distinctful jawbreaker
If they truely exist in the wild as “impossibly rare” then, WE ALL should treat those specimines as an endangered species, as members of our hobby we all should be sustainability reinforcers and not out to be looking for a big a** profit! IMO if you got 10k to spend on a shroom, instead of buying something that’s highly likely just a sales hype or name calling, do something that really would help our wonderful hobby and invest into research or look for other ways to help preserve our true reef systems which may be gone for our next generations to enjoy! Just my .02

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well by trying to give corals proper aptitude and circumstances to reproduce dont you think that in a way that is helping the hobby? The insane price comes from there only being 5 to existance. But with pateince maybe some day there will be 50 or even 500 to existance. I'm not out to make a huge profit. I'm a collector. And if I'm going to invest my money I'd like to own what I'm investing in. You would t buy a corvette....then give it to someone for free....or even worse someone who wouldn't appreciate it. High priced corals are often viewed the wrong way. Look at it like this. Would you appreciate and care for a 10,000 shroom.....the same way you would for one you only had 10.00 in? No. The 10.00 shroom you might skip a water change or miss a dose of vitacal. That shroom you have your half a years salary in....you're going to make sure it's taken care of just as well as you would one of your children. I know I do. So please dont question what I'm doing to preserve the hobby. While you're looking for your center piece....I'm trying my beat to reproduce those center pieces so that other people can have them instead of the 5 random people that have this particular one. Tha is for your insight and this is mine. Have a nice night

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference between doing this for money and doing this because I love my corals is that...my shrooms grow naturally. I dont frag anything. My sunkists have over 120 bubbles a peice....not 6 or 7 bubbles. Look at my bed things grow where they grow. I dont have frag racks with price tags. Sure if I have 10 of something I might sell or trade it reasonably but I put a lot of time patience and love into my corals. As do a lot of people. Yes for a lot its a money making scheme. And dont think for a second that I hated spending the thousands of dollars I spent on some of my shrooms. But I love my corals just like i love my kids and it's easy to see the difference between a vendor and a collector.

20180721_020852.jpg

20180721_020843.jpg

20180721_020832.jpg

20180721_020724.jpg

20180721_020746.jpg

20180721_020740.jpg

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they truely exist in the wild as “impossibly rare” then, WE ALL should treat those specimines as an endangered species, as members of our hobby we all should be sustainability reinforcers and not out to be looking for a big a** profit! IMO if you got 10k to spend on a shroom, instead of buying something that’s highly likely just a sales hype or name calling, do something that really would help our wonderful hobby and invest into research or look for other ways to help preserve our true reef systems which may be gone for our next generations to enjoy! Just my .02

The problem with that is, that although this color might be rare, the species is incredibly adundant in the wild. Discosoma sp. mushrooms are not rare at all in regards to its species, and the mention of 5 in existence is incorrect and likely just marketing to make the named piece have more hype behind it to drive these insane prices. No offense. But it happens. There is no shortage of mushroom corals or corallimorphs on reefs and they are farmed extensively both at mariculture farms and in the states.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've seen several posts stating that people love their corals like they love their children. It's a hobby, and it's just a piece of coral.. just my humble opinion.. I also find it hard to believe that someone would pay 10 g for a piece of coral if the intent was not to frag it and make that $ + a profit...

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen several posts stating that people love their corals like they love their children. It's a hobby, and it's just a piece of coral.. just my humble opinion.. I also find it hard to believe that someone would pay 10 g for a piece of coral if the intent was not to frag it and make that $ + a profit...
I love my children of the sea, I'm like a momma bear with cubs, I see blood, anyone harassed my children. Heehee

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are thousands of discosomas and jawbreaker but only 5 of this particular shroom that I know of and as far as lights making them look that color that holds true with some ...most corals....but this shroom actually has those colors ...under any light.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talk about investment what I wanna know is the actual size of it now and how much a frag is worth

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cant frag a purple monster. You have to wait for natural splits is what I'm told. Who would want to risk that kind of cash anyways

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are thousands of discosomas and jawbreaker but only 5 of this particular shroom that I know of and as far as lights making them look that color that holds true with some ...most corals....but this shroom actually has those colors ...under any light.

Put yours under a daylight (or even just less blue) lamp for any extended amount of time then show us what it looks like. I'm sorry but there are not only 5 of that mushroom in existence. That's all hype.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cant frag a purple monster. You have to wait for natural splits is what I'm told. Who would want to risk that kind of cash anyways

Did the vendor that sold it say that? They will spread from the base (not split) but you could take a razor to it just like any other Discosoma.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back