Worm ID needed. Bobbit worm?

kruler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed this ugly character creeping out of a rock. Looks like it could be a small bobbit worm but not sure. If so, how do I annihilate this sucker? He darts back into the rock with any movement.

6ED56707-9A2B-409D-ACA7-247BEB48C785.jpeg

Unholy_Rigatoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's a bobbit for sure, I had one just like it. I used long forceps to remove it, but there's a danger of it breaking in half and regrowing, so a trap might be a better option. That rock it's in looks too big to remove too..

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... it came from the deep! ;Nailbiting

1574454116904.png

(i'd take it too just for kicks if i had a spare tank!)

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does appear to be a Eunice sp. of some sort. You'd have to look at the head closer to positively identify it as a bobbit worm. Bobbits usually live in the sand, not rocks, so I doubt it is an actual bobbit. I remember a thread where someone was keeping a Eunice, but I don't remember which forum it was. It mostly ate algae.

OP
OP
K

kruler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does appear to be a Eunice sp. of some sort. You'd have to look at the head closer to positively identify it as a bobbit worm. Bobbits usually live in the sand, not rocks, so I doubt it is an actual bobbit. I remember a thread where someone was keeping a Eunice, but I don't remember which forum it was. It mostly ate algae.

I was doing some reading and apparently only a few varieties of Eunice that get big and are harmful. That being said, I would prefer to not find out it's one of those when fish start disappearing.

If I'm able to remove the whole rock and dip it in Revive I'm going to kill all the beneficial bacteria etc. in the rock right?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing some reading and apparently only a few varieties of Eunice that get big and are harmful. That being said, I would prefer to not find out it's one of those when fish start disappearing.

If I'm able to remove the whole rock and dip it in Revive I'm going to kill all the beneficial bacteria etc. in the rock right?
If you can remove the rock I’d just try to dip it in Rodi first, it shouldn’t like that. Revive seems excessive.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
EEE$Eek !! It IS a BOBBIt. . . hopefully only one

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been waiting for a bobbit thread like this for months and months. Finally!!! You must keep us updated with pics. ;Nailbiting

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back