worm id please (pics)

lafarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across this as a tiny guy and in two weeks Holy cripes did it embiggen! I searched all over the inter webs and it looks to be a worm but most pics come back to reefers asking what is it and then no answer. It is tube like, appears to have variegated segments, a feeding end with tentacles and moves like an inch worm. I believe this first pic is it small - that is a 2" marine pure cube for scale.
IMG_2093.jpeg

And this is it (maybe) a few weeks later, with a buddy.

IMG_2097.jpeg

And the video to show how it moves. Right after I shot this (just after lights started ramping up) it disappeared and have not seen it for a bit. (nightmare fuel below) It looked to be about 4-6" in length here and could stretch out quite a bit.

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a medusa worm? I think I am making out feathery feeding tentacles and some type of feeding behavior that looks like medusa worms, but I've never seen them move like that.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Medusa worm!

OP
OP
lafarrow

lafarrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like the medusa worm - I was cleaning my sump today and they really like to be at the base of my red ogo - when you run your hand through the macro they will stick to your hand like glue - they cluster together at the base of some of my ogo - the one i took a pic of is by far the biggest one. I'll keep an eye on them and let you know if i see them doing anything else!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back