Worm ID Please

fresco194

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anybody ID these things please. Noticed them swimming near the surface tonight. I collected about 4 of them.

OP
OP
fresco194

fresco194

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to tell much from the video but from the motion I'd guess it's an epitoke.
Yea I tried to record a clear video. They are so small. I also seen where thay can be Dorvillidae worms. Are either of these bad?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I tried to record a clear video. They are so small. I also seen where thay can be Dorvillidae worms. Are either of these bad?

Epitoke isn't a specific type of worm, it is part of the worms reproductive cycle. Basically the back part of the worm containing the reproductive cells (epitoke) breaks off and swims to the surface releasing its gametes. I believe dorvilleidae worms reproduce this way so it's possible we are both right about what it is. The video is too blurry to ID the worm type, and I'm not sure that I could even if it were a clear video honestly.

So epitokes themselves aren't bad and dorvilleidae worms aren't bad either. I have dorvilleidae worms in my tank and I have seen epitokes (that I assumed were from them) and they've never caused any issues.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back