Worm seen on new goniopora frag.

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a new goniopora on a frag. While getting ready to dip, noticed a dark colored tiny worm moving like a leech does. Reach out-pull posterior up-reach out-repeat. Pretty fast moving also. Swiped it off fast before it could hide again. Dipped with CoralRx. Did not see anything fall off except what seems to be a small fire worm?(huge head/jaws?).

My concern is what the mystery worm may have been. Happened so fast I wasn't able to tell if it was annelid(segmented) or flatworm of some type. Hence no picture to help with ID. There's horror stories about flatworms in the hobby along gonioporas being known to be a little sensitive and apparently some flatworms feed on them?

How effective is CoralRx with flatworms/mystery worms in general? Trying to gauge the risks of putting in display tank, using something temporary or discard. Then get busy setting up a QT tank for future purchases.

further context- there are other gonioporas and alveoporas in the DT, they're doing great. Don't want to introduce if the worm as described sounds like a possible goni/alveo/sps coral pest.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a new goniopora on a frag. While getting ready to dip, noticed a dark colored tiny worm moving like a leech does. Reach out-pull posterior up-reach out-repeat. Pretty fast moving also. Swiped it off fast before it could hide again. Dipped with CoralRx. Did not see anything fall off except what seems to be a small fire worm?(huge head/jaws?).

My concern is what the mystery worm may have been. Happened so fast I wasn't able to tell if it was annelid(segmented) or flatworm of some type. Hence no picture to help with ID. There's horror stories about flatworms in the hobby along gonioporas being known to be a little sensitive and apparently some flatworms feed on them?

How effective is CoralRx with flatworms/mystery worms in general? Trying to gauge the risks of putting in display tank, using something temporary or discard. Then get busy setting up a QT tank for future purchases.

further context- there are other gonioporas and alveoporas in the DT, they're doing great. Don't want to introduce if the worm as described sounds like a possible goni/alveo/sps coral pest.

Most likely a bristle worm. CoralRx will work, but I recently nuked some in Bayer. They didn’t even wiggle when I pulled them out.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back