Worm thing?

Lolleo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this stuff taking over my sump and how can I get rid of it as I have hundreds like they just keep multiplying.
A5F3E248-9AB4-45BF-A59B-02398518C553.jpeg

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this stuff taking over my sump and how can I get rid of it as I have hundreds like they just keep multiplying.
Huh, that is interesting looking.
Are they stiff/solid? Or do they flow in the current?

OP
OP
Lolleo

Lolleo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh, that is interesting looking.
Are they stiff/solid? Or do they flow in the current?
the tube parts of them aren't solid almost at all as i have used a net one time to scrape them off and catch parts of them but they like turn into a million pieces if you do that.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tube parts of them aren't solid almost at all as i have used a net one time to scrape them off and catch parts of them but they like turn into a million pieces if you do that.
Maybe some sort of tube worm? Do they all have the duster type end sticking out like this?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots and lots of tube worms.
Hard calcerous tubes with little duster coming out end so tube worm/fan worm/feather dusters
.some see as harmless filter feeders and beneficial to tank.
I've read some people say they can be a pain if get into and clog up plumbing etc

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like feather dusters or maybe coco worms. I'm seeing what looks like feathery parts extending off the end of the tubes. If that's what they are they aren't harmful (to the best of my knowledge). They're filter feeders. They obviously love whatever is going on in your sump. Wait for others to chime in but I'm assuming if you want to get rid of them you would have to siphon them out. Possibly scraping first then siphoning.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea, but I'll bump again since I'm curious lol
@ISpeakForTheSeas maybe?
Unfortunately, worms are one of my weakest points for the moment (they, admittedly, kind of gross me out if they're not in a tube, so I haven't gotten around to studying them much yet), so I can't help beyond agreeing that they seem to be some kind of feather duster worm (family Sabellidae) - harmless filter feeders. I'd agree with Karen00 above that siphoning is probably the way to go to remove them.

Depending on your fish, you might be able to farm them in your sump and feed them to your fish - I've heard that wrasses in particular are pretty fond of worms, and if you've got one that actively hunts worms in your display they should be able to keep them from settling in/keep their numbers in check.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 131 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back