Wormwood Treatment for AEFW

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? Think I will give it a try

6278A6CF-2A68-482C-BEF5-C91058A6BB1E.jpeg 12C21192-727C-439E-B117-61542D6E5D13.jpeg

jd-woodlands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered some wormwood from amazon today, KZ FWS is working great... however i have a bigger tank now and the cost per dose is getting a little high. Sharing with @Travis Stewart and we can update as things progress.

Tried UWC Purge with no success. Have a spare bottle if anyone wants it.. or if UWC will take it back or offer some credit that would be nice....

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a friend recently combat them by lowering temperature and dipping once a week for a month and a half. So far so good. I posted the article a week or so ago.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try it it says 100% wormwood. Just use a coffee grinder to grind it up real well.
I am so glad others are trying this. I am thinking about trying the wormwood even though I don’t have any worms to see if it creates the same results as the fws.

nicsound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only 2 weeks in but have been dosing at 1ml/10gallon/day of unfiltered wormwood solution (avoiding dosing the heavy sediment), with no apparent ill effect, except for the obvious irritation to my urchins when dosed too close to them. They otherwise seem fine and show no sign of irritation when dosed away from them.

Clams, anemones, sponges and other filter feeders (and sadly the red planaria) all seem to be unaffected at this time and corals are looking good but I somewhat doubt that it's wormwood in FWS that does all the other KZ magic.

That wormwood leaf looks fine. It's just not ground as finely. There is one thing that keeps bugging me though, dosing this into a closed system.. has anyone seen the thing about how little oregano is actually in a lot of commercially available products? And that's a common, mass produced herb.. Just a thought..

Anyway, here's a link to the thread Jose mentions as it's a good way down the search results already:

Shame I can't dip my whole reef..

Nic x

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only 2 weeks in but have been dosing at 1ml/10gallon/day of unfiltered wormwood solution (avoiding dosing the heavy sediment), with no apparent ill effect, except for the obvious irritation to my urchins when dosed too close to them. They otherwise seem fine and show no sign of irritation when dosed away from them.

Clams, anemones, sponges and other filter feeders (and sadly the red planaria) all seem to be unaffected at this time and corals are looking good but I somewhat doubt that it's wormwood in FWS that does all the other KZ magic.

That wormwood leaf looks fine. It's just not ground as finely. There is one thing that keeps bugging me though, dosing this into a closed system.. has anyone seen the thing about how little oregano is actually in a lot of commercially available products? And that's a common, mass produced herb.. Just a thought..

Anyway, here's a link to the thread Jose mentions as it's a good way down the search results already:

Shame I can't dip my whole reef..

Nic x
You can get rid of planaria with flatworm stop.

gabrielpnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we all know that there is not any miracle cure that kills AEFW in their tracks, there is one that works systematically over several months.

There has been some hype around a new miracle treatment that does not appear to work as described, but it can work if you give it time and use a different methodology.

Wormwood is a powdery, pulpy substance like coffee grounds. It appears to be the main product in a few off-the-shelf remedies. Wormwood will not usually kill larger, healthy AEFW, but it does appear to interrupt their lifecycle and keep any new ones from being born. I have seen it work on a tank with my own eyes, but it took months while the older, larger worms died childless.

How can you make some? Get some Wormwood Powder from Amazon or a health food store. I had been mixing 1/4 cup in a 2 liter soda bottle. Shake it well and let it sit. Keep the cap loose after you shake it or else it can get some back pressure. The wormwood will settle to the bottom. Shake the bottle and dose 1ml for every 10g of tank water EVERY DAY. It harms nothing. It does not even kill normal red planaria.

For those of you who do not feel like mad scientists, just get some KZ Flatworm stop and use at 2x their recommended dosage. This is what got us going on this treatment. Other than being very expensive, it works well.

Here is what you might see... within a few weeks, significantly less bites. Within a month, only large worms and corals starting to regrow around the infected areas. Within two/three months, only a few worms and not new eggs. Within four/six months, none. Keep dosing for a while after this - it hurts nothing, so why not keep it up for a while?

Future study: it does not appear that the KZ Flatworm Stop has the "grounds" or "pulp" in it. They must filter it out. A coffee filter would probably be fine for this. Somebody would need to test that this is just as effective as keep the "grounds" in the solution.

Here is my thread on this in real time while helping a friend:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2670592

Good luck to all with these basturds.

This is what wormwood looks like after it is mixed up:
Did you remove activated carbon or turn off skimmer while treating?

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He did everything like normal. I have no idea if not skimming or not using GAC is better. I would never stop skimming for more than a few days, though... but that is just in my DNA.

Back