Worried about having my Red Sea MAX S-650 after seeing all the seam failures on the reefer systems

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a MAX S-650 back in January and am still in the process of setting it up (it's not filled and the actual assembly is only about 30% done) and I've seen nothing but negative experiences with the REEFER systems the most notable being seam failures. I'm wondering if this is also an issue with the MAX series as I couldn't really find anything (I guess that's a good thing).

Should I try selling this and getting a tank from another manufacturer? I'm guessing I would take a huge loss despite it practically being brand new.

I did my research on the MAX line and it seemed good, but I joined a couple facebook groups after the purchase and was hit with a bunch of horror stories.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine. Most of the issues were specific to the 750 model although there have been reports of others. Most can be attributed to the stand. Take the time to go over your stand to make sure it’s level, square, and that all the fasteners and legs are properly set. That said, if your going to lose sleep over it for the rest of your life just sell it. Of all the failures you find on the internet, which in the grand scheme of things isn’t a lot, the tanks were replaced by RS, some even past the warranty period. Now, that does nothing for your time, loss of livestock, and property damage but that’s how it works.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Max S-Series has an aluminum frame so you're laughing. The issues with seams and cabinet support were limited to pre-G2 and pre-v3 systems (625, 750 mainly) that had plywood frames. As @Zzyzx mentioned - just make sure everything is assembled correctly and level and you should be fine.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to remember that EVERY manufactor has seam failures. Red Sea sells a LOT of tanks. Perhaps more than a lot of other companies hence they have a bigger following, good and bad. Unhappy people are vocal people as a rule and for every failure, there are a ton of no fails. Also keep in mind, many failures are the fault of the person setting it up--not leveling, and another percentage are those who use razor blades hitting/slicing the silicone.

I have had 3 Red sea tanks
RS Max 250 - 60 gal AIO - set up approx 3 years and then I upgraded. Sold it.
RS E 170 40 or 45 gal AIO - Set up in 2015 by my daughter, moved to my house around 2018. SEt it up for a while as a QT tank. Took it down. Sat dry for a while and moved to new location. Had to replace the seals going from the back down to sump (no plumbing but seals dried out and leaked). That tank is still going strong
RS 3xl900 - 240 gal - set up since Oct. Has the armor seals plus I put starboard on the bottom. Trick is not to slice the silicone. I don't use razor blades in the corners. And with my flipper, just barely tap the corners but not dig into the seams.

I'm on a couple facebook groups. I see the fails. People are always willing/wanting to vent/rant. What I don't see is all the happy RS reefers chiming in but they are out there or RS would not be in busienss

Just do your due dilegance in setting it up

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back