Worst Gift Ever?

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
What is the worst Christmas gift you have ever gotten...that head scratcher that made you wonder if you had somehow opened the wrong gift or if something had been mis-tagged? This can be anything...not just related to reefing.

For me it was unwrapping one of those singing bass on a plaque that would “be great in your fish room” from my brother-in-law.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
What is the worst Christmas gift you have ever gotten...that head scratcher that made you wonder if you had somehow opened the wrong gift or if something had been mis-tagged? This can be anything...not just related to reefing.

For me it was unwrapping one of those singing bass on a plaque that would “be great in your fish room” from my brother-in-law.
iu

I've gotten some things I didn't like, but none were as bad as that one!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score

That's pretty hard to top!! ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score

Yup, I can totally relate. First time I was into fish.. yup wife gave me one.. worst thing is she knew I hated those.. this is what I call wasteful gifts. Buying someone something that will end up in a garage sale or trash.. waste of money. I grew up in a poor home and gifts like that never happened. We cherished effort and thought. Home made items where always appreciated.

I go out of my way to learn what someone would like as a gift.. when someone puts no thought into gift giving and buys junk it gets under my skin. But you sure do learn allot about people when you get a gift from them.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
When I was 10 or 11 I got a gift from my aunt. I could feel that there was something else under the tissue so I lifted it up and I kid you not, there was a ribbon of like 20 condoms under there. Oh man, that was awkward... I opened that gift in front of grandparents and everybody.

Apparently she had her bachelorette party a few months before and had reused a box to wrap my gift. Ooops!

Last edited:

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
My grandmother went senile before she died. One of the last Christmases she was around she bought me a felt longsleeve turtleneck that was San Franciso 49ers themed that was 3 sizes too small. We lived in North Carolina, and I have never really cared about football. She also got me a birdhouse even though I lived in a 3rd floor apartment.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I come from a large family so we draw names for our family gift exchange. One year I received a single $0.50 Snickers bar, This was certainly not the WORST gift, but close. The very next year the same person drew my name again, lucky me. That year he gave me a can opener, not an electric, or fancy one, just a basic can opener.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hello,

I have had quite a few weird and awkward aka worst gifts. When I was younger one of the neighbor kids gave me a rock, with a note saying we were meant to be. It was a little creepy.
The other weird/worst gift was when I graduated high school and was college bound. I was significantly younger than my other classmates. A gift from my dads side of the family (gave me a children’s play pen), I assumed they expected me to play in it, no idea and I believe I donated it to the good will.
Absolutely thee most annoying gift ever was from my parents. They gave me this large stupid chicken (well rooster), alarm clock and at first I kinda thought it was funny. I Used it and that thing would make a rooster crowing sound sooo obnoxious and loud it drove you out of bed. The worst part was getting it to shut up. The off button and snooze button would always stick, and it would be going off for 3 minutes or however long it took me to unscrew the battery compartment and take a battery out. My parents visited me at least once a month and they always asked about it. So I couldn’t really umm get rid of it. Because of my age my freshman year I was not allowed a roommate, so I was always next to the r/a aka resident assistant. We shared a common bathroom and there was a door between our rooms. When one day I had to leave early to study, and forgot to turn it off and that stupid chicken clock was going off for like an hour (from what my roommate said), and it upset her and she threw it on the ground which broke it (yay). When she tried to apologize, to me I said it was fine cause I was happy, and she asked where she could find one. Of course I didn’t know and then when my parents came to visit me she asked them. (my mum was mad because she broke it ), but they told her and sadly my roommate gifted me with another stupid crowing rooster alarm clock. The buttons still sucked, and I was stuck with that stupid thing for 2 years because of my parents.

Last edited:

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Every year for awhile, my daughter would get me some decoration for my FW tanks. X-mas, Father's day, Birthday. Being the dutiful father, I tried to find a place for everything. Not awful gifts, but talk about tacky tanks! I now have a large rubbermaid tote full of aquarium deco.

Squeaky McMurdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Well worst gift was...nothing. I was completely overlooked by everyone last year and didn’t get a single gift to open on Christmas. (My husband had bought me fish and other living things a few days before, so he got a pass)

One of the worst gifts was a pineapple peeler from my dad. He had given my siblings really nice things when he drew them the previous years. But you know what? That thing sat in my drawer and I got it out after he died and it’s a really handy gadget to have and was probably all he could afford at the time. I would give anything to receive another dollar store gift from my dad.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I just had to.

Every year for awhile, my daughter would get me some decoration for my FW tanks. X-mas, Father's day, Birthday. Being the dutiful father, I tried to find a place for everything. Not awful gifts, but talk about tacky tanks! I now have a large rubbermaid tote full of aquarium deco.

Well, she's at it again.
ship.jpg

It's about 14" long! The tank lights are out now, but it will go into the 93 cube tomorrow (for awhile anyway). We had our family Chrismas with the kids and grand kids today. She was SO proud of her gift! I actually kind of like it.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I just had to.

Well, she's at it again.
ship.jpg

It's about 14" long! The tank lights are out now, but it will go into the 93 cube tomorrow (for awhile anyway). We had our family Chrismas with the kids and grand kids today. She was SO proud of her gift! I actually kind of like it.
You could grow some serious gsp on that deck ;Hilarious

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back