Worst Gift Ever?

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I just had to.

Well, she's at it again.
ship.jpg

It's about 14" long! The tank lights are out now, but it will go into the 93 cube tomorrow (for awhile anyway). We had our family Chrismas with the kids and grand kids today. She was SO proud of her gift! I actually kind of like it.
How old is your daughter?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
How old is your daughter?
Going on 40. She knows how deeply I'm into my tanks, and just wants to make me happy. I just don't have it in me to break her heart.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Well, I kind of think most gifts are terrible. Now, don’t think I’m an ungrateful SOB, but if I want or need something I get it when I want or need it. That’s why I always tell everyone to just get me gift cards when they ask for ideas. i look at most gift giving the same way I look at someone burning a wheelbarrow full of cash.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Going on 40. She knows how deeply I'm into my tanks, and just wants to make me happy. I just don't have it in me to break her heart.

lol ok. I was thinking a young kid. Then you’d have to pretend to like it. At 40 you can ask her what the heck she’s thinking. I wonder if she’s just messing with you because she knows you’ll pretend to like anything she gives you?

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Friends from when I was little and I had been doing a white elephant post-christmas for years, maybe 10? The gifts traditionally followed a few themes:

Drinking (college years) - fun glassware, tabletop style party games, hiding Smirnoff Ices in boxes
Gag gifts - tough because you never knew who would open what package, but there were some epic ones, nonetheless
Actual gifts - by far the most rare hahaha

Well we stopped doing the gift-exchange a few years ago after my friend’s wife put some “toys made from silicone” into gifts several years in a row... Don’t really see them much anymore... Guy who was best man at my wedding moved to Nashville a month ago and one of those toys reappeared when his dad was over helping him load a couch. Apparently not a single word was said between father and son... :O

I hope I kept that PG enough for R2R, but seeing as those gifts ruined both a tradition and a friendship I’d say they are the worst gift I’ve ever received.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Can I also peg the worst gift I’ve ever given? Great.

My uncle is a very kind and funny man but also a total wine SNOB :) He also has everything he can possibly want so usually I pick some music he might like, compile a photo album, aka personal but cheaper things.. We also do some gag gifts...

Two years ago I bought him the “scratch and Sniff” guide to becoming a wine expert. He did not get the joke but the rest of the family did :p
5EBDFDFD-5DF6-467C-A1C5-3CB018507514.jpeg

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
lol ok. I was thinking a young kid. Then you’d have to pretend to like it. At 40 you can ask her what the heck she’s thinking. I wonder if she’s just messing with you because she knows you’ll pretend to like anything she gives you?
I assumed this too! 100% she is messing with you!!!!! Props to her hahaha

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I assumed this too! 100% she is messing with you!!!!! Props to her hahaha
You really think so? Maybe it's time to find some really loud obnoxious toys for her children. Naw. Couldn't do it.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
You really think so? Maybe it's time to find some really loud obnoxious toys for her children. Naw. Couldn't do it.
You need subtly obnoxious/loud... think the frozen dvd (kids will be singing “let it go” nonstop). Since that’s cliche can I suggest next year you get them a bunch of legos? Find a set with lots of LITTLE pieces. Kids will leave little caltrops all over the floor for mom to step on, but you can claim innocence ;)
3247D4E7-6CFB-4376-BC0A-63157D706850.jpeg

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
You need subtly obnoxious/loud... think the frozen dvd (kids will be singing “let it go” nonstop). Since that’s cliche can I suggest next year you get them a bunch of legos? Find a set with lots of LITTLE pieces. Kids will leave little caltrops all over the floor for mom to step on, but you can claim innocence

You have a disturbingly devious mindset. I kind of like it. I'll definitely keep it in mind. ;)

Nano1908

View Badges
Reaction score
A Christmas tie! When am I going to wear a Christmas tie? Yup, have to wait another year. It's nice though. My birthday is a few days before Christmas, why not give it to me then so I can wear it Christmas day! I guess it's not the worst gift, just the worst timing. Lol

I guess the worst was when everyone gave me 1 gift & wished me a happy birthday and merry christmas. Lol.

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
A nickelback album.

One time when I was just a kid I was talking tk a friend making fun of nickelback and my mom overheard me mention then. Not hearing that I was saying that I though they were terrible and being a sweet and thoughtful mother she bought me their album thinking that I like them..

To this day I feel bad about even telling her that I didn't actually want the album. I think I still have the CD somewhere lol, but it was never played.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
A Christmas tie! When am I going to wear a Christmas tie? Yup, have to wait another year. It's nice though. My birthday is a few days before Christmas, why not give it to me then so I can wear it Christmas day! I guess it's not the worst gift, just the worst timing. Lol

I guess the worst was when everyone gave me 1 gift & wished me a happy birthday and merry christmas. Lol.
Merry birthmas! My little brothers birthday is the 22nd and he always got “combo gifts”. My sons birthday is the 28th and he gets something from us on his birthday, but my wife started scheduling his party for the second week in January so there’s enough separation. It works out nice. I bet my brother would’ve loved giving up his birthmas to shift a few weeks to the right

Nano1908

View Badges
Reaction score
Great idea. Wish my parents thought of it. I make sure my wife doesn't combine the days. Hers is Christmas Eve so eventually she would screw herself. Lol.

Artimusclyde1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Man there are some good ones here
I know my worst gift though. I grew up poor and my parents were divorced. I was at my dads house for Christmas and he hadn’t gotten me any thing that was kind of a normal thing but then he agent out side to take out the trash and came back with this motorcycle shaped like a shark missing the front wheel :/ told me he found it in the trash lol when a gift makes you feel truly sorry for someone your supposed to look up to as a kid it changes the relationship dynamic in a rough way

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back