Would a freshwater cleaning of DT eradicate ich?

kaz1961

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read through about a thousand posts about treating ich (slight exaggeration) including the 12 page thread on this forum. I am pretty sure I have ich in my new DT. I quaranteened the last fish in (a spotted puffer) and all seemed fine. A couple of days after putting him in DT he got spots and died when I moved him to treat him. A couple of spots on the two other fish developed and disappeared which makes me think its ich thats dormant right now. I plan on moving them to a hospital tank and treat with copper power for 14 days and then ttm them to a second tank (seems to be the perferred treatment by the experts on this site). Since the DT is new and had only those fish and live rock in it I am going to break it down instead of trying to go fallow for months. If I completely dry out the DT, sump and all equipment then fill with fresh water and let it run for a few days will the fresh water kill off any remaining ich of all stages or do I need to clean all the equipment with bleach? Sound like a good plan? Any input positive or negative about my plan would be greatly appreciated. TIA

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read through about a thousand posts about treating ich (slight exaggeration) including the 12 page thread on this forum. I am pretty sure I have ich in my new DT. I quaranteened the last fish in (a spotted puffer) and all seemed fine. A couple of days after putting him in DT he got spots and died when I moved him to treat him. A couple of spots on the two other fish developed and disappeared which makes me think its ich thats dormant right now. I plan on moving them to a hospital tank and treat with copper power for 14 days and then ttm them to a second tank (seems to be the perferred treatment by the experts on this site). Since the DT is new and had only those fish and live rock in it I am going to break it down instead of trying to go fallow for months. If I completely dry out the DT, sump and all equipment then fill with fresh water and let it run for a few days will the fresh water kill off any remaining ich of all stages or do I need to clean all the equipment with bleach? Sound like a good plan? Any input positive or negative about my plan would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Ich tomonts can stay on rocks and sand, so what are you gonna do about them? Just cleaning the tank won’t kill off any remaining parasites.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, Marine ick cannot process fresh water, they literally explode and are killed.

it’s like Hypo.

I like that idea, but I might go a full week.

OP
OP
K

kaz1961

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich tomonts can stay on rocks and sand, so what are you gonna do about them? Just cleaning the tank won’t kill off any remaining parasites.
Gonna take out all rocks and sand and bleach them. The tank is just a couple months old so I didnt have a ton of live rock in it yet anyway. Have a 50 lb shipment of dry rock on the way that was going in this tank so luckily thats not in there yet.

OP
OP
K

kaz1961

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, Marine ick cannot process fresh water, they literally explode and are killed.

it’s like Hypo.

I like that idea, but I might go a full week.
That sounds like fun , I would love to watch those little jerks explode!!

HeyJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna take out all rocks and sand and bleach them. The tank is just a couple months old so I didnt have a ton of live rock in it yet anyway. Have a 50 lb shipment of dry rock on the way that was going in this tank so luckily thats not in there yet.

Just keep in mind you'll need to re-cycle before putting the fish back in the DT. Shouldn't be an issue if you're doing a several week long QT.

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. In that case yea, you should be good.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back