Would an sump with a skimmer provide enough gas exchange for a fully submerged lid?

MyFirstCar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about interesting tank options, and one of the thinks I think could be interesting would be a lid that's fitted in the tank so that the bottom of the lid is just below the water level; so you'd see through glass on the top-side as well. You'd need to figure out an easy way to clean/feed, but that aside would it be possible to have enough gas exchange in the sump to offset the loss of area from the tank lid?

I was inspired a little by the Fluval edge, but something that would fit/work with a more traditional reef tank design.

OP
OP
M

MyFirstCar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure the lid is easily removable for maintenance (and you'll probably want a magnetic scraper on it at all times).
New to saltwater, is it a problem to leave the metal from the scraper in the water?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any way to find out what *enough* is without trial and error? Don't want to kill anything experimenting
You need someone smarter than me for that
@Lasse
If you wanted to keep livestock in an enclosed space how much turnover would you need with the area where the oxygenation occurs?
10x
20x
?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a Manufactured Aquarium like that in a LFS, about three years ago. Top was touching the water, and you could view through the top. I think it was an all in one. The Store was Reef eScape in Fairfax, VA

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back