Would Chaeto work in a scrubber-style setup?

OP
OP
pygo1

pygo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been pondering different algae reactors but couldn't justify the prices every brand was asking for. Ended up taking a piece of 1.5" pvc pipe and zip tied a thin mat of chaeto to it. Then took a piece of 1/2" pvc and slid it down the middle of the chaeto pvc and wedged it between the front and back glass of the sump. Basically a rod for the bigger chaeto pvc to spin on. Threw a light on it and spin the thing half a turn every night. It has exploded with growth and was free!
When modern problems call for primitive solutions! Haha

sounds like a nifty setup, I wonder if you could direct flow in some way to keep it spinning continuously. Nothing like rotisserie chaeto!

zpete3323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When modern problems call for primitive solutions! Haha

sounds like a nifty setup, I wonder if you could direct flow in some way to keep it spinning continuously. Nothing like rotisserie chaeto!
That was the original plan! I glued some 4th grade science project looking rocket fins to spin it but failed. Need a dedicated "spinner" pump for it I think

OP
OP
pygo1

pygo1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was the original plan! I glued some 4th grade science project looking rocket fins to spin it but failed. Need a dedicated "spinner" pump for it I think
Ooh good call with the fins! You could definitely pull off a water mill style setup with fins on the end of the pipe and a small pump/powerhead to keep it moving

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back