Would gill infection cause same symptoms as the parasite that caused it?

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I am still at a total loss. None of my fish have died but have been through 30 days of Cupramine, 2 weeks of metro, 2 prazi treatments and a week of Kanaplex.

The white spots/patches on my clown have come and gone throughout this process and I have no idea what he helped or hurt them as they made an appearance during copper too.

Today/yesterday the same clown and copperband butterfly seem irritated and have rapid breathing. The butterfly even had one gill closed yesterday which prompted me to dose a third round of prazi out of desperation. The butterfly has no spots.

Do they have internal secondary infections and the clown is just showing it more externally too? I don’t know what else I can treat with besides formalin but at this point my DT has been fallow for 6 weeks so if I’m going that route, I might just put them back...

I’m so so frustrated because I’ve bought/treated everything in the book and am still seeing this. I bought separate equipment for the QT and it is on a separate floor of the house so zero chance of aerosol.

Here are pics to refresh. I guess my question is should I just do a formalin bath and proceed to DT or are there any other safer suggestions? I’m nervous to try hypo since I hear it’s challenging but also have no idea what to treat for.

0DCF9B2F-9D8B-46BD-96C7-AC79839488DA.jpeg

7CE2A389-674B-48C8-BE72-1D8963ACBAEF.jpeg

22989EC6-9294-448C-839F-EBF8093BD25C.jpeg

OP
OP
Kinghugo5

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ruled out lympho as they seem very irritated by whatever this is. If Ich has survived, is another round of copper advised?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of that looks like secondary infection but the clamped gill is concerning. Have you done a FW dip to check for flukes? There are Prazi resistant flukes.

OP
OP
Kinghugo5

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of that looks like secondary infection but the clamped gill is concerning. Have you done a FW dip to check for flukes? There are Prazi resistant flukes.

I have on the clown, tang and butterfly. Nothing noticeable like I’ve seen from other FW dips. I know gill flukes can be much smaller but I couldn’t clearly see anything. Ive been leaning towards prazi resistant flukes but am so unsure of how to proceed minus hypo.

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypo or fembenzadole for prazi resistant flukes. There are a couple threads on here on that recently. I am completing day 10 of hypo dealing with them. Prazipro and General Cure did nothing to them. Hypo seems to have dealt the blow by visual confirmation but I am dipping them this weekend to confirm.

OP
OP
Kinghugo5

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure looks like lympho to me on the clown.

I would believe it if the other fish were not showing the same irritating symptoms. I do believe the butterfly originally had lympho before I set the QT up so it’s possible it’s in the water, but for how irritated they act, it just seems odd.

The clown will rapidly twitch (and not the mating twitch) and the butterfly will quickly jolt and curl its body like something is really bothering it. The tang had similar symptoms a few days ago and they have gone away for now. And they ALL (2 clowns, gramma, tang and butterfly) yawn frequently.

OP
OP
Kinghugo5

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypo or fembenzadole for prazi resistant flukes. There are a couple threads on here on that recently. I am completing day 10 of hypo dealing with them. Prazipro and General Cure did nothing to them. Hypo seems to have dealt the blow by visual confirmation but I am dipping them this weekend to confirm.

Are you having any issues with ph?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would believe it if the other fish were not showing the same irritating symptoms. I do believe the butterfly originally had lympho before I set the QT up so it’s possible it’s in the water, but for how irritated they act, it just seems odd.

The clown will rapidly twitch (and not the mating twitch) and the butterfly will quickly jolt and curl its body like something is really bothering it. The tang had similar symptoms a few days ago and they have gone away for now. And they ALL (2 clowns, gramma, tang and butterfly) yawn frequently.

I think you have some secondary infection on previous wounds from flukes and possibly Prazi resistant flukes.

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have LOTS of water movement. 2 penguin 400 bio wheels, power head just below surface and an air stone on a sponge filter setup.

OP
OP
Kinghugo5

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have some secondary infection on previous wounds from flukes and possibly Prazi resistant flukes.

Unsure of how to proceed.. treat with antibiotics first then hypo or other way around or simultaneously?

OP
OP
Kinghugo5

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have LOTS of water movement. 2 penguin 400 bio wheels, power head just below surface and an air stone on a sponge filter setup.

I have a HOB filter and a power head at the top. I could add an air stone too. They don’t seem bothered though when treating with meds, no gulping at the top etc.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unsure of how to proceed.. treat with antibiotics first then hypo or other way around or simultaneously?

If you have fish breathing hard and clamping a gill is address the possibility of flukes ASAP. I’m not sure which ABX is compatible with Fenbendazole but maybe @HotRocks or @4FordFamily coukd chime in.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a HOB filter and a power head at the top. I could add an air stone too. They don’t seem bothered though when treating with meds, no gulping at the top etc.

I would add the airstone

OP
OP
Kinghugo5

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Furan 2 and Kanaplex. I already dosed a bottle of metro prior.

I can run carbon overnight to start removal if that’s the course of action.

Is there even a small chance Ich or velvet survived the copper?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.0%
Back