Would gill infection cause same symptoms as the parasite that caused it?

OP
OP
Kinghugo5

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done many water changes. I did Cupramine for 30 days and when the clown continued showing symptoms, added metro. I did a 10 gallon water change (29g QT) after removing copper and metro. Dosed another round of prazi, 5 gallon change. Started Kanaplex with a Furan 2 dose, did a 10 gallon water change at the end of last week. Did a 5 gallon change yesterday before the 3rd prazi dose.

Starblenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I am so frustrated. The clown has had multiple 5 min FW dips with no effect on whatever this is.

I read somewhere FW dip will not completely kill gill flukes; medication or hypo will fully kill it.

That being said, I was going through the same scenario; do I have secondary infection or prazi resistant flukes. I ended up buying Fenbendazole to treat flukes (I just completed a fenben bath) and so far so good...

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, it looks like lympho on the clown for sure.

The tang having such a small spot makes me also think lympho. If it were ich that tang should be covered.

Flukes that have prazi resistance are another possibility, a FW dip should be able to confirm if flukes are present.

OP
OP
Kinghugo5

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What prompted me to move them all to a QT was this pic. So Ich/velvet has played a role somewhere along this road but I haven’t seen any round spots like this since treating with copper.

FEE60D93-AB65-4DC5-B395-C100F4531278.jpeg

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The symptoms you describe certainly sound like flukes but other things have similar. The body of the tang overall looks ok from the pic but there is that white spot out on the top fin. Have you dipped the tang?

OP
OP
Kinghugo5

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, it looks like lympho on the clown for sure.

The tang having such a small spot makes me also think lympho. If it were ich that tang should be covered.

Flukes that have prazi resistance are another possibility, a FW dip should be able to confirm if flukes are present.

The tang had about 4 of those, all on the lining of the fins, and they went away within a few days.

Another thing I forgot to mention is, minus the tang and black clown, all of the fish are very reclusive. But sometimes even the tang.

Unless these flukes are TINY, I don’t know what else I can look for in a FW dip. I tried several.

OP
OP
Kinghugo5

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All except the black clown and gramma have had a FW dip with no visible flukes falling off. Perhaps a flaky dust but I couldn’t confirm if that’s flukes without a microscope.

OP
OP
Kinghugo5

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the dirty glass, but there is a better pic of the tang spots. In person, it was obvious they weren’t perfectly round.

7DDF4597-3F4C-4D86-A4CE-E008B2DF6372.jpeg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All except the black clown and gramma have had a FW dip with no visible flukes falling off. Perhaps a flaky dust but I couldn’t confirm if that’s flukes without a microscope.
If you had flukes detach in a FW dip it would be pretty obvious.

Only other thing I know to do is try formalin if you aren't sold on lympho.

The symptoms you describe would lead me to believe it's more than lympho as well. I have seen flukes cause fish to be very inactive, for example swimming in the same spot all day, which is not normal for a tang.

Bacterial infections can present themselves in many ways as well. But you have treated for that as well.

What do you feed? Do you supplement with anything like vitachem, selcon, etc.?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love if @Humblefish or @4FordFamily could chime in here...

My conclusion is wait it out and see if it corrects itself or do formalin baths and move to a clean QT. Pics appear to be lympho and symptoms you describe say otherwise.

OP
OP
Kinghugo5

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had flukes detach in a FW dip it would be pretty obvious.

Only other thing I know to do is try formalin if you aren't sold on lympho.

The symptoms you describe would lead me to believe it's more than lympho as well. I have seen flukes cause fish to be very inactive, for example swimming in the same spot all day, which is not normal for a tang.

Bacterial infections can present themselves in many ways as well. But you have treated for that as well.

What do you feed? Do you supplement with anything like vitachem, selcon, etc.?

I started soaking the food in selcon a little over a week ago to give them a boost. This was the same time I was dosing Kanaplex and the clown seemed to be getting better, then yesterday all of the white was coming back.

The tang is half active half hiding in the pvc but the butterfly is extremely reclusive. The butterfly seemed to be doing better while in copper, really.

They all still have an appetite, and the butterfly even ate a clam today.

OP
OP
Kinghugo5

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed LRS reef frenzy. Sorry, I didn’t answer that fully.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed LRS reef frenzy. Sorry, I didn’t answer that fully.
No prob, I'd say that is a high quality food and soaking in vitamins will definitely help if it is lympho.

OP
OP
Kinghugo5

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add, that at the same time the tang showed the spots, every fish in the tank at least had one visible blemish. The black clown had some pale spots and the gramma had one seemingly on its lip almost in the mouth. The butterfly was hard to see but under light, I could also see growths. Currently, only the orange clown has any visible symptoms and the butterfly has behavioral

Edit: this was directly after a prazi treatment.

OP
OP
Kinghugo5

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate everyone’s help! I’m desperately trying to get to the bottom of this and am willing to proceed with anything suggested. I feel like I’ve exhausted everything I’ve researched minus hypo or formalin.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this were something viral, with high quality food, pristine water, and supplements added to food it could heal itself.

I'm torn on what to do. No flukes coming off in FW dip says viral.

Maybe just give them some time, see what happens and keep formalin close by.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back