Would I be able to have a tuxedo urchin in a 5.5 gallon nano reef?

GoldenOrbWeaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I recently set up a 5.5 gallon nano reef and am thinking about eventually adding a tuxedo urchin. I will wait a few weeks to make sure the tank is stable and there is a lot of algae (though the tank is already finished cycling), but would I be able to add one? If so, would I also be able to have two red legged hermit crabs and two trochus snails? I already have the trochus snails but I have not gotten hermit crabs yet and don't know if I should. I would much rather have a tuxedo urchin if I can't have both. Would both fit, would I only be able to have the urchin, or would I not be able to have the urchin at all? And regarding algae, if there isn't enough growing I can feed the tuxedo urchin nori so my question is if 5.5 gallons is enough for the urchin to survive and do well, not if it's enough to generate enough algae for it. Thanks!

Michael Price

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried an urchin in a 10g tank. I dont remember exactly which kind it was but with my little experience I'd say no. If it doesn't like the algae you do have, it'll starve itself. I bought it in attempt to control green hair algae as suggested by my LFS. They need a LOT of algae to be able to thrive and I don't think they take well to the pieces you can add to the tank.

OP
OP
GoldenOrbWeaver

GoldenOrbWeaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to be really challenging in 5 gallons. I had a green urchin in a 12-gallon but had to feed him constantly (he was voracious).
i'm fine with feeding one often. i have nori and i could feed it to an urchin 2 or 3 times each day if necessary. my main concern is whether the urchin would be comfortable in 5.5 gallons or not. do they roam around and need space to explore like fish?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm fine with feeding one often. i have nori and i could feed it to an urchin 2 or 3 times each day if necessary. my main concern is whether the urchin would be comfortable in 5.5 gallons or not. do they roam around and need space to explore like fish?
They roam, they explore - they decorate. If you're adamant about an urchin, get the smallest tuxedo you can find and be prepared to drop in a small rock with seaweed rubber-banded to it 2-3 times a week or as it's consumed.

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, just saw that you were asking whether or not itd survive and be comfortable. I agree with blaxsun. Get an itty bitty one and give it a whirl! Post pix!

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for cool inverts, ive always been fascinated by nudibranchs, saw one in a 5 gallon species tank years ago and its always stuck with me. Feeding em is definitely an issue though.

OP
OP
GoldenOrbWeaver

GoldenOrbWeaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll probably get the smallest tuxedo urchin I can find once my tank has been stable for another month or two. I'm planning on upgrading to a 20 gallon eventually so hopefully I'll be able to do that if the urchin gets too large.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find someone who aquacultures urchins. I think BIOTA does….they can send you teeeeeeeeensy weeeeeeensy urchins like the size of a dime. Just be prepared to rehome and replace as he grows.

mkereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I recently set up a 5.5 gallon nano reef and am thinking about eventually adding a tuxedo urchin. I will wait a few weeks to make sure the tank is stable and there is a lot of algae (though the tank is already finished cycling), but would I be able to add one? If so, would I also be able to have two red legged hermit crabs and two trochus snails? I already have the trochus snails but I have not gotten hermit crabs yet and don't know if I should. I would much rather have a tuxedo urchin if I can't have both. Would both fit, would I only be able to have the urchin, or would I not be able to have the urchin at all? And regarding algae, if there isn't enough growing I can feed the tuxedo urchin nori so my question is if 5.5 gallons is enough for the urchin to survive and do well, not if it's enough to generate enough algae for it. Thanks!
Most Likely not because of lack of algae

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You shouldn't put a tuxedo urchin in ANY tank that's only a few weeks old, let alone a pico tank. Not unless you get a shrinkray somewhere and make it permanently tiny.

Get scarlet reef hermits instead of red legs, if possible. They're less trouble around snails. Make sure to feed them now and then so they get some protein.

OP
OP
GoldenOrbWeaver

GoldenOrbWeaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't put a tuxedo urchin in ANY tank that's only a few weeks old, let alone a pico tank. Not unless you get a shrinkray somewhere and make it permanently tiny.

Get scarlet reef hermits instead of red legs, if possible. They're less trouble around snails. Make sure to feed them now and then so they get some protein.
Don’t worry, I’m not getting an urchin now. I was planning on waiting a month or two if I even get one. I just didn’t want to get other invertebrates now or soon if I wouldn’t be able to have them with an urchin. I’ve decided against getting hermit crabs because I don’t want them to kill my snails.

OP
OP
GoldenOrbWeaver

GoldenOrbWeaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find someone who aquacultures urchins. I think BIOTA does….they can send you teeeeeeeeensy weeeeeeensy urchins like the size of a dime. Just be prepared to rehome and replace as he grows.
Okay. I was planning on finding an aqua-cultured one anyway because catching animals for aquariums seems unethical. I’m planning on upgrading to a 20 gallon in around a year so hopefully it won’t get too large by then.

dan55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I found this last month on my back porch that I thought was interesting. It appears to be a mud dauber nest that had juvenile GOW inside eating the mud daubers until they exhausted the food supply and somehow all got trapped inside

Attachments

• 20220530_104520.jpg
    20220530_104520.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 45

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back