Would I need a chiller or a heater?

Parsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I’m new to this forum, while I would normally try to do my own research I can’t seem to find a solution to my specific problem.

I live in Dubai. VERY HOT. So you might be thinking, obviously buy a chiller man!

However, the tank that I plan on setting up (FOWLR) 65 gallon is going to be in my bedroom, meaning A/C. I can honestly say that for 80% of the time we use A/C, with the temp set at 21 - 23 degrees

The only time where the AC would not be in use is when we are out of the house. All of us.

And since the preferred AC temperature is lower than what marine livestock are used to should I get a heater?

And for the times where no ones in the house with the AC closed, should I get a chiller?
I doubt we’d be out longer than a couple hours, is that enough to heat the water and possibly hurt my livestock?

I do understand that it’s just easier to buy both, set em up and have nothing to worry about, but I’m a student with limited funds and chillers are super expensive.

Oh and we don’t have eBay here so no luck in the used department.

I would appreciate any help I can get thanks

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you turn your A/C off completely when you leave or turn the temp up? I live in Central Florida (also hot - and humid), when we leave for the day we will turn our thermostat up about 4 degrees over where we like it when we are home (from 71F - 75F)

With 21-23C being 70-73F I would recommend starting with a heater as the heater (as long as it doesn't fail) will turn off when the tank is over your set temp.

If you turn your A/C off and the tank is regularly hitting 26+C I would recommend also using a chiller (a lot of chillers have outlets for controlling your heater too)

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Parsa and welcome to R2R :)

If you're keeping your air conditioning between 21* - 23* (about 70*F - 74*F), you probably won't need a chiller. If you run MH lighting or have a lot of powerful pumps, you might still need a chiller. But, you'll probably be able to keep your tank around 25* or so if the ambient temperature is 21* - 23*. I would always get a heater, mostly for night-time. When the lights are all off, the tank's temperature will likely trend down, and you want to keep the temperature as stable as possible.

Now when your AC is turned off, your tank will likely go up in temperature. Maybe instead of turning the AC off when your family is gone, you can turn it up to 25* or so? That might keep the environment cool enough that you don't need a chiller.

Please create a tank journal and tell us a little about your setup :) also feel free to stop by the Meet and Greet forum and tell us a little about yourself!

OP
OP
P

Parsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankyou for your quick replies.

Well we actually turn it off fully.

So what about when we’re in the house and turn the AC off? What we do is basically we keep it on for a couple hours, turn it off when it gets too cold and back on again.

I’d say everytime we turn it off, it stays off for about 1:30 - 2 hours.

Generally how long do you think the tank can manage to stay within proper temperature without getting too hot?

I’ve also read up on placing a fan on top too cool it off. Would that make a difference?

I don’t think I’ll be able to keep the AC on everytime were out. Because we leave for school and work at 6am up until 2:30pm this is almost everyday. So say if I just turned on the fan every morning and turn it off when I get back at 2:30pm. Thoughts on that?

OP
OP
P

Parsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Parsa and welcome to R2R :)

If you're keeping your air conditioning between 21* - 23* (about 70*F - 74*F), you probably won't need a chiller. If you run MH lighting or have a lot of powerful pumps, you might still need a chiller. But, you'll probably be able to keep your tank around 25* or so if the ambient temperature is 21* - 23*. I would always get a heater, mostly for night-time. When the lights are all off, the tank's temperature will likely trend down, and you want to keep the temperature as stable as possible.

Now when your AC is turned off, your tank will likely go up in temperature. Maybe instead of turning the AC off when your family is gone, you can turn it up to 25* or so? That might keep the environment cool enough that you don't need a chiller.

Please create a tank journal and tell us a little about your setup :) also feel free to stop by the Meet and Greet forum and tell us a little about yourself!

Sorry I didn’t know how to mention you so you see the message. Thanks

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn’t know how to mention you so you see the message. Thanks
First Off:
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef, and hope you feel at home.

Lost an entire reef in 2008 when our AC went out, while we where on vacation... :(

Have ran a chiller ever since and it's been one of the best investments that I've made.

They can be expensive, but it's worth the price to have peace of mind.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
P

Parsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First Off:
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef, and hope you feel at home.

Lost an entire reef in 2008 when our AC went out, while we where on vacation... :(

Have ran a chiller ever since and it's been one of the best investments that I've made.

They can be expensive, but it's worth the price to have peace of mind.

Thankyou, I do feel welcome. It’s good to know I’ll have tons of help over here.

Well I hate to admit it but I think I need to buy myself a chiller /:

Don’t get me wrong I would’ve bought one anyway later on, but I just wanted to get started with my tank ASAP.

I guess patience is something I’m gonna learn in this hobby :D

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%
Back