would it be a good idea to add a bio-plate to my new currently cycling QT tank?

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to get this new bio plate I received seeded with bacteria and was wondering if this would quicken the cycling process for my new DT? Would it be a good idea to throw it in my QT tank while it cycles to get the bacteria in the bio-plate going? The only thing is I might receive some new fish soon and they'll be going into the QT tank, and if it has something I'm not sure if I can use the bio-plate in my new DT.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Just wanted to see what you guys say lol.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good idea. Be aware thar new media may cause some imbalance as you're adding new surface area. This might show up as higher or lower nutrients temporarily.

But nice to have extra media for new fish.

If it ends up getting contaminated with some new fish disease, just rinse and dry it out.

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Looks like you want to keep it in DT, put it in DT. If your DT is new you will need to use fritz turbo start or other nitrifying liquids to jump start or you need 2 months for bioplate to meaningfully cycle and seed.

Anything that comes out of QT has to be fully cleaned, dried before moving to DT (or you will transfer disease from QT to DT. So would not recommend putting bioplate in QT ...

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you want to keep it in DT, put it in DT. If your DT is new you will need to use fritz turbo start or other nitrifying liquids to jump start or you need 2 months for bioplate to meaningfully cycle and seed.

Anything that comes out of QT has to be fully cleaned, dried before moving to DT (or you will transfer disease from QT to DT. So would not recommend putting bioplate in QT ...
The new DT isn't here yet unfortunately. It'll arrive sometime between the 13th - 19th.

The QT is still new and hasn't had anything in it, but I guess you're right in the fact that if I do add a fish and it does have a disease then obviously it would have been all for nothing.

Kind of a gamble I guess. I'm thinking about just waiting to get the fish and letting the bio-plate and bacteria do its thing in the QT tank until the new DT gets here and worrying about the livestock later (which is pretty obvious what I should do but I'm a dummy).

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If the bioplate is for DT, I would wait for DT to arrive and put it in DT

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back