would it be alright if i put a coral beauty and a bi color angelfish together in a 20g long reef tank?

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title says it all. Its a 20g long mixed reef with 2 ocellaris clowns and 2 sunrise dottybacks. Any thoughts?

ParkerK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would not do that just try and go with the one you prefer!

U

User1

View Badges
The title says it all. Its a 20g long mixed reef with 2 ocellaris clowns and 2 sunrise dottybacks. Any thoughts?

No. Neither fish are considered "Nano". They can get large depending on the health of the fish. 3 to 4 inches easy. I'd say mine in my 210 gallon tank, a coral beauty about 5 years old is pushing 4" easy. I had it in a 40 breeder for a bit while I was working on my upgrade and it was a bit much for that I felt although that is much better than a 20. Adding two is even a bigger mistake.

Now, people will say sure, go for it, if small and just remove them later. The trouble with that is while they are growing so is your fish tank corals. Corals are growing. Rocks are maturing. Thinks start staying together better as the biological filter and algae attach to rocks. You may get luck to catch them. You may not. You may have to start removing rocks and corals which disrupts everything stressing fish, corals, and the hobbyist out. Why put yourself through that? So I'm not a fan of that option although that is one.

What does that leave you then? Consider a Starcki damselfish. Smaller with a max size of 3". A nice community fish for a damsel, and has great colors that are striking. It is a fair option to consider but also borderline big for your tank but that is about the only compromise I can see.

Nano fish are, well, limited and your stock list is already up there.

OP
OP
nano_ryan

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thank you all for the fast responses. Its good to know that i can ask such a simple question and people come so fast to help.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d focus on making your tank interesting by adding things that don’t need a ton of swimming room. I’d recommend inverts. Right off the top of my head, i’d say a yellow watchman goby and a tiger pistol shrimp would be an awesome combo and interesting addition. Featherdusters are awesome too. Think “small tank”. How about a few rock flower nems? Or if you want more movement around the tank, a few cleaner shrimp.

U

User1

View Badges
I’d focus on making your tank interesting by adding things that don’t need a ton of swimming room. I’d recommend inverts. Right off the top of my head, i’d say a yellow watchman goby and a tiger pistol shrimp would be an awesome combo and interesting addition. Featherdusters are awesome too. Think “small tank”. How about a few rock flower nems? Or if you want more movement around the tank, a few cleaner shrimp.

You raise a great idea on the goby/shrimp combo. Would set it off really well. Also a few smaller could could be interesting such as clown goby's provided you have the corals they like to sit on. Also the neon blue or yellow gobies are nice and also will spawn.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, neither, the only angel Id consider to be somewhat suitable for a 20 long would be a cherub pygmy angel, but even that is really
toe-ing a moral line.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not consider it immoral. However, a Cherub angel is a 3 inches angel and would not do well in a 20 gal either. Also Cherub angels are on the aggressive, and feisty side of all the Dwarf angel. and will give all the other fish in a 20 gal tank hell.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not consider it immoral. However, a Cherub angel is a 3 inches angel and would not do well in a 20 gal either. Also Cherub angels are on the aggressive, and feisty side of all the Dwarf angel. and will give all the other fish in a 20 gal tank hell.

3" ? thats a big cherub! Onr of my old clients had one on their 180 that supposedly 8 years old and still was still 1.75-2" max, I do agree they are certainly fiesty/territorial.
Immoral lines are different for many people, some view fish as "just fish" but they are still an animal and should be respected as one IMO, which is why I mentioned the moral aspect of it.

U

User1

View Badges
lines are different for many people, some view fish as "just fish"

Correct - what most of the experienced hobbyists do though is to try and change that mindset. That fish are not a commodity. In these posts bit it tang police or other size related questions I'll provide an answer then suggest an alternative.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back