Would like confirmation on Chaeto growth and water level

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers. I have a situation that I would like confirmation that my logic is correct.

I have the Neptune ATK (with 2 sensors) in my return pump area of my sump. It’s configured to run once an hour.

I have Chaeto in my sump. It’s grown using the Kessil H380 from 10pm to 10am PST.

From 10am to 10pm, the ATK runs like clockwork. Every hour, the ATK runs from 10 seconds to a little over a minute.

Starting around 10pm, the water level rises enough to cover the lower and upper sensor. If I leave it alone, enough water will evaporate during the day until the lower sensor is open or I need to manually remove water.

My logic says that the reason this is happening is due to the fact that the Chaeto is growing and taking up more space causing the water level to rise. Is my logic valid?

RandyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I doubt that's it, especially if this is happening like clockwork. Chaeto couldn't grow that fast that the minute you turn on the fuge light that it starts displacing water.

I would check and see if your return pump or your powerheads have been programmed to do something different around 10pm?

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt that's it, especially if this is happening like clockwork. Chaeto couldn't grow that fast that the minute you turn on the fuge light that it starts displacing water.

I would check and see if your return pump or your powerheads have been programmed to do something different around 10pm?

Return pump has no configuration. Runs at the same speed 24/7. No powerheads in the sump. Two MP60s in the DT which I doubt would change the water level in the sump.

RandyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Return pump has no configuration. Runs at the same speed 24/7. No powerheads in the sump. Two MP60s in the DT which I doubt would change the water level in the sump.

Powerheads in display tank can displace different amounts of water depending on the speed they are running and push more or less water into the overflow.

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerheads in display tank can displace different amounts of water depending on the speed they are running and push more or less water into the overflow.

I’ll check their configuration and adjust to match if they are different than during the day. Thanks.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back