Would like to upgrade and looking for experience with your system

Jogging stroller dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the boicube 32 for about a year now and really want to upgrade to a larger tank something 100-150 gallons to expand the environment and house convict tang/blue spotted jaw fish/ dragonet. I’m looking at the Red Sea xl 525 but the price is a lot to swallow. I like the clean look and would like it in the living room so clean is good but quality and simplicity is a must for me. What do you recommend ? I have not ventured into coral as much but I’d like to have that option.

Cerberusfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say look at the red sea price, then do research and see what it might cost to build it yourself. You can get a stand that most likely suits your needs if you look hard enough, so just choose all of your equipment, add up the price, plan the plumbing and get pricing on that. That way you can make it as simple or complex as you like, then decide which fits your needs more. Try looking for used systems to, may be able to save some money there if you dont mind it. I'm looking at doing a similar upgrade myself and that's my technique so far.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the boicube 32 for about a year now and really want to upgrade to a larger tank something 100-150 gallons to expand the environment and house convict tang/blue spotted jaw fish/ dragonet. I’m looking at the Red Sea xl 525 but the price is a lot to swallow. I like the clean look and would like it in the living room so clean is good but quality and simplicity is a must for me. What do you recommend ? I have not ventured into coral as much but I’d like to have that option.

How are your DIY skills? A stock 6' 125 gallon might just be the ticket for you. Nice external overflow and sump. As long as you can drill some holes and put together a basic 2 x 4 stand you're off to the races. It will still be probably a couple thousand when It's all said and done but totally worth it...

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from a 25 nano cube to a standard rimmed 120 4x2x2.
I took 1 year to purchase everything I needed.
It was still over 4k but that included everything, tank, welded stand, sump, skimmer, lights, carx, ato, powerheads, heater, return pump, test kits, and more.
This way I got everything I wanted before water ever went into the tank.
Tank is 1 year old now and im glad I took the time to figure out what I wanted before any water was added.
I have a convict tang and a 120 is too small for it imo. It needs at least 6 feet or more imo.
20200702_184556.jpg
20200621_203404.jpg

Back